1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a mss32.dll error

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by h2oskier, Dec 4, 2006.

1. h2oskier

h2oskier Guest

New here, and have done a search before joining but I haven't had much luck here or with Google.

Last night I installed Civilization III, but decided I didn't want to play this, so I uninstalled it.

Now, I am trying to install the first version of Stronghold (the game) and whenever I attempt this, I get an error saying "the application has failed to start because mss32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

This game is not on my system right now (I tried installing last night by going into the contents of the CD and found the setup.exe, but I ended up uninstalling because I could not run the program after the installation was successful).

I ran a search on my computer for "mss32" and "mss32.dll" and was not able to find the file. I have gone to this site (http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mss32) and downloaded the newest version of this file, but I'm not too sure where I should put it?

I've read this file has to do with the audio (winamp - which I don't have, and Windows Media Player - I do have) but could not find a system file. Is there something I can do to replace this and get y computer to run this game?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide all the details. Thanks for any help you may provide.

2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

3. h2oskier

h2oskier Guest

Jizmak - thanks for the quick reply.

I extracted the mss32.dll file to my WINDOWS/system32 and tried to run the disc again.

I have a new error.
    Miles Error
    "The MSS DLL file is installed in the Windows or Windows system directory - it must be installed in the application directory."

Thoughts?

4. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

The best I can tell it is a sound driver file.
    Try placing it in the program files for your audio hardware.
    Miles sound system or something similar.
    Cheers and good luck.