1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting AVIs for editing from DVD

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by hankduck, Mar 1, 2005.

1. hankduck

hankduck Guest

I want to re-edit a few DVDs I made (non-commercial) and have been trying to read all I can about the various methods. I need to convert to AVI for this.

On reading the guides to the various applications that ostensibly convert files (VOBs) to AVI, it seems that when I get near the end of the guide, the terminology changes from simply AVI to xvid/dvid AVI or some other combination making me wonder if these are different from what I ultimately want, which are AVIs I can use in editors like Studio9 or Adobe Elements to make DVDs that play in stand-alone DVD players.

I would appreciate any help with clarifying this.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You don't NEED to convert to avi. Waste of time and quality.
    You can extract the mpegs and edit them in something like Cuttermaran, Pinnacle, or Elements.

3. hankduck

hankduck Guest

What app do you recommend I use to extract the mpegs. Can I extract them directly from the vobs on the DVD or do I have to use another app to do this?

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Do a search for "VOB to MPEG". There's a whole bunch of tools, some good ones are even free.
    Once extracted, load into your editor, make any changes, then author and burn.

5. hankduck

hankduck Guest

Thanks muchly. I'll try it.

6. tmog

tmog Member

It seems to me that there would be no need to convert a VOB to MPEG2 if it's already considered an MPEG file. Can you just strip the streams and save it as an MPEG? Or do you have to go through the lengthy process of converting them?

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No, you don't have to convert, but .vob length is determined by dvd spec, at 1 gig each.
    Most .vob to mpeg converters don't actually encode anything, then just rip the actual mpeg out (with audio) and join it.

8. tmog

tmog Member

How do you remove the actual MPEG out with the audio with ease? I haven't been able to find the answer online using Google.