1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting bad burns constantly

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Tarquin77, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Tarquin77

Tarquin77 Member

Hi,

I have a Liteon 40x CDRW drive which I bought around a year ago, and have not had any problems until now. I have been getting bad data burns and do not know what to do. The burn completes successfuly (at least thats what nero reports) but when I try and access the disc, the cdrom drive light keeps flashing and the file doesnt open. This usually results in the pc being re-booted.

Sometimes I can access a few files on the disc, but it freezes (as descibed above) when trying to access others. This happens with CD-RW and CD-R discs.

If anyone could give me some advice on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

T

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Do you get those problems when trying to read the disc on another machine?

3. Tarquin77

Tarquin77 Member

Yes, each time I have had this problem I have tested the disc on my other PC and it doesnt load.

4. Praetor

Tried a different burning app?

5. Tarquin77

Tarquin77 Member

No, I got nero with the cd writer and have used it all the time. It has always worked fine until now, so I'm not sure how it could be nero that is causing the problem. But if you have another app to reccomend I will give it a try, otherwise what else do you think could be causing the problem?

6. Praetor

A different burning app would eliminate Nero as a possibility but as you say, there is no reason to suspect Nero -- or is there? If, you have not done any changes that could possibly affect your burning life in any way whatsoever then your burner is el-toasto. Otherwise you need to start eliminating possibilities. :)

7. Tarquin77

Tarquin77 Member

I havent changed anything since I installed the drive. The only thing I can think of is that the lens may be dirty and is causing bad burns. Does this make any sense or is it common?

8. Praetor

I dont think its common - it might be though.. to eliminate the possibility, grab a cd lense cleaner cd and run it through. If that doesnt clear it up and, as you have said, nothing has changed, odds are the drive is toast :-(