1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting best the quality capture from VHS

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by DaveO1959, Dec 8, 2004.

1. DaveO1959

DaveO1959 Member

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum and I hope someone will be bale to help.

I have read many of the messages on here regarding capturing VHS but none address my problem hence the new thread on the subject.

I have managed to capture a VHS tape,convert to MPEG2 and author a DVD from it that plays on my DVD player.

The trouble is the quality is worse than the original VHS tape by quite a degree and I suspect this may be down to capturing problems. I encoded to MPeg2 using TMPGenc and create the vob files with another ultility before using Nero to author the DVD.

I am using a Pinnacle Linx USP Plus capture device with Pinnacle Studio 8.12 software. On reading the forum I see this is classed as prety useless but contrary to what I have read in some messages you can select different codecs if you go to the custom capture option and select a check box. You can then select any of the codecs installed on the machine.

The reason I think capture is the problem is that I have read elsewhere that capturing at 352x288 (which is what I did) is not good enough because the video is interlaced and that means you are effectivly getting only half the available resolution. I have read you should capture at 640x280 at least and then deinterlace the result using VirtualDub.

Does this make sense?

If it does, what codec should I use to capture the Video?

The other possibility is the MPEG2 compression is ruining it so are there alternatives to TMPGenc?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. stardust

stardust Regular member

I had a common problem when capturing with VirtualDub, it restricted capture resolution to 352x288. Then I installed WDM Capture Driver (http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/) to Win2K. However, later I uninstalled it and re-installed original drivers to my Hauppauge PVR (PCI) card . After that realized, that I can still capture even full reso (768x568) with Vdub...

When capturing from VHS, I use Vdub version called VirtualDub1493VCR+SYNC with Huffyuv or PICvideo MJPEG codec (compression adjusted to 19 or 20) and it produces a good quality AVI. Then 'TMPGEnc Xpress' for converting to mpeg-2 (VBR, high) and final job is authorizing to DVD format with 'TMPGEnc DVD Author' and the result is better than good for my needs.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004