1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting prompt for non existent password, Win XP???

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ledeni, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ledeni

ledeni Member

Lately, I have been experiencing the strange windows behavior. Ocassionally, on Windows XP Pro startup, when I get to choose the User Account (in my case LeDeni - which is actually administrator) it asks me for the password which I never actually had. Whichever password I type (or leave the field blank) it says that the domain is not accessible. But I'm not using logon via domain in the first place.
    If I try to login with Administrator account, it appears as it was trying to log in but it takes forever then I am returned to login again.
    Sometimes restarting the computer solves the problem, but sometimes I have to restore through System Restore from Safe mode (Safe mode logs in normally).

Is this connected with some keyloggers or corrupt Windows files or it has something to do with malware etc.?

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

You should probably run a scan disk in safe mode and then defrag the system. You should also run a few programs to clean the machine of any ad-aware, maleware, invalid registry entries, etc. Run all of these programs including your AV in safe mode as well.

Ad-Aware Link
    A-Squared Link
    Spybot Link
    CCleaner Link
    RootkitBuster Link

Running these programs should get rid of any and all problems on your machine. Make sure to run them in safe mode. The RootkitBuster is a very good engine for detecting and eliminating problems, it just doesn't offer as many features as others such as BlackLight or IceSword. Let me know after you get the programs and the updates to the programs and run them if the problem still persist. I think that doing all above should eliminate the problem.