1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Redneck Rampage/Quake/Hell to run on XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Zonation, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Zonation

Zonation Member

Hey everyone, I'm having some major problems getting these games to run on Win XP. I've tried the Compatibillity Options, messing aroud with the visual themes, memory, etc...and it won;t work. Does anyone know how exactly I can get these games running? I remember a while back I was having the same problems with Phantasmagoria but someone on a forum told me how to fix it (I think it involved changing thecompatiillity setting for the Setup file or copying and pasting the setup file directly from the CD and changing something on there) but I forget what exactly it was. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

2. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

You need to find the executable file for the game (ie. quake.exe) that is installed on the hard drive. Right click on the file and select properties. You should see a compatibility tab. This is where you would change the compatibilty mode to whichever you like. I'm not sure what would work best for these games, but I'm guessing Windows 9X should work. Is your hdd formatted NTFS or FAT32? If its FAT32, I would make a DOS 6.22 boot disk to play these games. Just make sure you set up your sound card properly and get the IRQ/DMA settings from XP before you run DOS. You'll need 'em.

Good luck.

~Rich

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have got Redneck Rampage working. You need to find a program called nolfb.com which turns off the linear frame buffer in DOS VESA modes. You should be able to get it at:
    http://advsys.net/ken/build.htm
    I also use VDMSound to get sound working properly.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/
    What I did was create a .bat file with a text editor in the directory where I had it installed. I had previously copied nolfb.com to that directory
    The batch file has these 2 lines
    nolfb.com
    rr.exe
    I saved that as go.bat in the Redneck directory, then right clicked on the .bat file. If you have VDMSound installed you should get an option Run With VDMS when you right click on it. I just used the defaults.
    This is one of the few DOS programs that I can't get working in DOSBox, hopefully with the next generation of processors it will work under DOSBox.