1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting rid of internet explorer browser

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by gruel, May 6, 2004.

1. gruel

gruel Member

hi
    ive got internet explorer and avant browsers, i want to get rid of IE as avant is so much better, question is am i likely to have any problems doing this, if so what are they and how do i get over them.
    thanks

2. forkman

forkman Member

I don't think you can get rid of Explorer as it is an integeral part of Windows,just choose the Avant browser as your default and you shouldn't have any problems.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The best you can do is disable it through Add/Remove Windows Components.

4. erichm

erichm Guest

Please correct me if Im wrong, but I think you need internet explorer to use windows update.

5. Nephilim

You do if you trust Microsoft's updates.

6. forkman

forkman Member

I don't.
    [​IMG]

7. gruel

gruel Member

so if i cant get rid of IE browser, how do i disable it so that everything else works, at the moment if i click on a link in avant it opens with IE, when i downloaded ebay tool bar it ended up on IE, if i do a search in google-avant once again it opens with IE and cant seem to move it to avant, so ive had enough of IE browser, but yeh IE is an integral part of windows so i would like to disable IE browser but want everything else to work.

8. Nephilim

Go to Add/Remove Programs and there will be a box on the left called Add/Remove Windows Components where you cab disable it.

I've never used Avant, but you should be able to set it as default in its Options or Settings so it comes up instead of IE.

9. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

You should just set up your other browser as Default. IE actually is set up through the explorer feature of windows and is imposible to remove. But under the options of your prefered browser you should be able to set it as default. I know you can with Netscape (Mozilla) but I am not too sure about avant. An other really good one is Opera. With pages designed for IE, I haven`t had problems with Opera.

10. gruel

gruel Member

yeh removing IE dosent look posible without causing a load of problems, so ive had a look but cant see how to make avant my default browser.

11. Nephilim