1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting surround sound from TV and Receiver?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mikehende, May 16, 2005.

1. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

My TV has a built-in VHS and DVD player, I bought a Home Theatre System [5.1]but I can only get the TV to play though the Front 2 satelite speakers and not the sub and the rear speakers, I was wondering if I should get a separate AV Receiver,if this will allow me to hear the TV in surround sound or through all 6 speakers?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What kind of wire are you using to output the sound from your tv to your receiver?

3. mikey_ray

mikey_ray Guest

WELL FIRST OFF IF YOUR TV DOES NOT HAVE AN OUTPUT(sorry Caps)
    like rca you cant do it ---u need a reciever input on your 5.1 system--and an output from your tv that are rca----

unless your going thru direct tv or cable then split there output from there boxes

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

No need for caps. If you read mikehende's question again, you will see that he gets sound from the two front satelite speakers. Obiously he has an output for sound. If he has a digital output(optic or coax) on his tv, he can get 5.1 sound when he is watching a dvd and 2.0 when watching a video tape or regular tv. Otherwise he will get 2.0 sound only if he is using rca cables. If this is the only output for sound, then he will need to adjust his receiver to pro logic in order to spread sound to all his speakers for any matrix(souround sound) embeded signals in the left and right feed. I would wait for a response from mike before anyone else jumps to conclusions, especially if you don't even know what kind of wires, receiver or TV audio output capabilites he has.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  5. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

My sincerest apologies here guys, I should have given you all the basic info, well here it is, I purchased an "Audiologic" 5.1 Home Theatre system from Bestbuy, this is the cheapest system I have seen and only bought it to try out this surround sound thing for the very first time to see how it works. I can return it for a full refund which is why I bought it in the first place.
    Audiologic Techs told me that I will only get 5.1 sound through all speakers if I use the DVD that's built-in in the Receiver or a music cd, I cannot get 5.1 sound not even from the included AM/FM radio. As far as any "external" devices go, they said I will not get 5.1 sound so this is why I am wondering if I should take this back and get a separate AV Receiver so I can use the built-in VHS/DVD players on my TV but I need to know first if I will get 5.1 sound if I connetecd my TV to an AV Receiver? Please fell free to ask me any questions, thanks.

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  7. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Yes, that is the system, my TV is a Toshiba, can't find the manual right now to see the Model and it isn't written anywhere that I can see on the TV itself, it is a flat screen 20" with built-in TV/DVD,VHS and has Video/Audio ins and outs and 1 "coax". What I want guys is simply to have sound coming from all 6 speakers whether I want to watch the TV,DVD or VHS, I am thinking i=of returning the Audiologic and get an AV Receiver, I was told by 1 person so far that I will get what I want from such a receiver but I need to know what "feature" I should look for in an AVR that will do what I want?

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Unfortunately, the system you have does not have any audio inputs of any kind. What you want is a receiver that has digital coax inputs(for your dvd player in your tv) and L/R rca inputs(for your regular tv and vcr sound) at the very least. You can get a decent 5.1 receiver nowadays for under $200(major name brand). You can also buy a decent 6 speaker set for under $300. I have found that the majority of the all in one box home theatre sets are not designed to add any more audio or video components. Good luck.

9. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

I will be purchasing an AV Receiver separately from the 5.1, this is what I've been told on another forum

"You need to get the system in Dolby Pro Logic, while inputting a stereo source, with surround encoded into it."

And you say I need

"a receiver that has digital coax inputs(for your dvd player in your tv) and L/R rca inputs(for your regular tv and vcr sound) at the very least."

Is the above correct? If so, so I will be needing an AVR with
    1] Digital coax inputs
    2] L/R rca inputs
    3] Dolby Prologic
    4] Surround sound encoded

Is the avove correct? Anything else that I might need to pay attention to with regards to both Receiver and 5.1 speaker system please?

10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Almost all receivers sold today have everything you need. The thing you have to look for specifically if you intend to keep your current tv connected to this receiver is a digital coax input. Most have both(coax, optic), but you will also see some with one or the other. If you plan on getting a better tv and dvd player in the future, you may want to get one with both types of digital inputs. Also the majority of all receivers today already have ProLogic II(Dolby Sourround) along with other DSP sound modes(Dolby Digital, DTS). Receivers also have SFC(Sound Field Control) options for added effects like Hall, Club, Live. Theater, Simulated Surround, etc. All these sound features will let you take advantage of all 6 speakers(7 or 8 if you decide on a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver). Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  11. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

OK, so I think I have the Receiver thing covered and will look at some 5.1 speaker systems, I think I will get one with a powered sub though, thanks a million for the help, if I have any questions in the future when I get everything together I will open up this same thread, until then, thanks again, Mike.

12. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If by this you mean an active subwoofer, then that is a good choice. I also prefer a subwoofer with its own amplifier. It makes it so you don't take any power away from the other speakers. Have fun shopping.

13. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Oh, another question please concerning the speakers, do the speakers need to be "Prologic" or have any specail feature or should I just look around for any suitable 5.1 speaker set? Thanks.

14. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The receiver is what decodes and sends the signal to your speakers. If you buy an all in one 5.1 speaker set you should be fine.

Dolby developed ProLogic as a way to decode a surround sound signal in the left and right analog signal. ProLogic II expands on that technology by giving you a discrete left and right surround signal rather than just the mono one you get with ProLogic. ProLogic II can also create a center and LFE signal and will even send extra signals if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

You will mostly need this(ProLogic) for components that connect to your receiver with left and right analog(RCA) cables. Even if your signal comes from a digital cable, and the soundtrack is dolby surround(found on older dvd movies and cds) not dolby 5.1 or dts, ProLogic can also decode this and take advantage of your speaker setup.

15. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Thanks, to go a little off-topic here, I was wondering if I could connect my cd player to the AVR and get surround sound, I mean music from all speakers? Does it work this way with music cd's too?

16. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I had mentioned DSP(Digital Signal Processor) options on an earlier reply. These options will send the signals to all of your speakers. Just chose the SFC mode you like best for the particular music you are listening to. Just about all 5.1 receivers made right now have all the options you are looking for.

Remember, take your time and compare. If you see one you like, check online to see if you can get it for less. Good luck.

17. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Getting back to the Receiver, what does "surround sound encoded" mean? Does this mean that the reciver must have "simulated surround"? I aks this becuase I am looking at this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6804032&type=product&id=1093469986214

I see everything that is needed in this one but not the "surround sound encoded" feature, can anyone take a look please and tell me for sure if this receiver meets my 4 requirements above please? Thanks.

18. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I was referring to a source (such as a tv program, vhs tape, cd, video game, etc.) that says it has a [bold]Dolby Sourround, Surround Sound, ProLogic or ProLogic II[/bold] soundtrack.

This receiver is pretty good for the price. This would be a nice starter for you. Simulated Surround is not that big a deal. This feature will spread a standard mono or stereo signal to all your speakers. Doesn't sound too good since it is simulated, but if do want a receiver with this feature keep looking. I'm sure you'll find one. Let me know if you have more questions.

I just took another look at those specs and though I'm not sure, I think the DSP modes it has will give you that simulated surround sound effect, but I'm not 100% positive.

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  19. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

sorry but I am still confused by this, remember that I want to have sound go to all of my speakers no matter what I am playing, whether it's my TV or the built-in VHS or DVD, so do I need to have a receiver with "simulated surround" for my purpose?

20. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If ProLogic isn't able to do it, then the DSPs should. Like I said, I'm not positive, but the DSP modes on this receiver should do the trick. I suggest you check it out in person and listen for yourself. You can also ask the salesperson to test it out and see if it will give you the sound you're looking for.