1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting surround sound from TV and Receiver?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mikehende, May 16, 2005.

1. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Don't mean to be a pain here, just looking at all of my options. I would appreciate if you could take a look at this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat40200050002&id=1110263641433

I decided to look also at all in one systems but for one that will have the 4 requirements mentioned above and this one seems to have all so I can play either my TV or it's built-in VHS or DVD through all speakers, if I am correct here, can you tell me please if this will work? Thanks.

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Seems to have all the things you are looking for. Nice price. All in one systems sure have come a long way in power and price. With the kind of tv you have, this should compliment it nicely. Now, just check and make it isn't cheaper anywher else. BestBuy does match competitors prices.

3. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Yeah, I will take a shot at this one, I can always take it back for any reason so I won't lose money. Good wattage at 600w, should get heavy Bass from the 8" sub, will pick it up this weekend and will report back here, one other question please, will 18gauge wire suffice? I don't think it's neccessary to get 16gauge for this purpose as it's a small room?

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The cables that come with this system should suffice. If you need longer cables, then I would go ahead and purchase extra speaker cable. I don't think using thicker gauge speaker cable would improve the performance of this particular system. The audio cables for your tv/dvd/vcr combo to this receiver should be more of a concern.

5. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

I read somewhere when doing reseach on Home Theatre that 16gauge wire is best because the wires that come with these systems are too thin, I think I got 22gauge speaker wires with the Audiologic system I had purchased so I used some 18G wire I had lying around, anyway so that was the reason why I asked, thanks.

6. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Just hooked up everything to test and let me tell you, this system packs a hell of a lot of power and sound FANTASTIC. Would appreciate anyone's help on this matter though:
    My living room is rectangular in shape, the room dimensions are 20'Lx10'Wx8'H and we kind of have the room separated in 2 parts, meaning we use half of it for the "TV Section" and the other half for pc's. The problem here is that since the room is rectangular we don't have much space from side to side walls so the couches are placed alongside the walls and this is a problem for placement of the "Rear" speakers.

According to the diagrams in speaker placements, the Rear speakers are supposed to be placed at "Ear' height on the left and right of the couch that's facing the TV, seeing that our Couches are alongside on the left and right walls, this can't be done, only option I see is to place the rear speakers "above" our heads and face them downwards or I could place the rear speakers to the back wall of the room high up close to the ceiling, the system definitely has enough power for this, does anyone think that this last option will be best?

7. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Just wanted your opinion on something please, the Sony system is very powerful but when it comes to the "Rear" speakers, they don't output not even 1/2 as much as the front or center speakers and that's even though I set them on "Large". I was told by one guy that I am supposed to "even out" all speakers so they put out equal volume, is this correct?

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You have to keep in mind that the majority of all the sound in a movie is coming from the front. It is only in key moments in a movie that the sound will take advantage of the suround/rear speakers. Just make sure that the distance from the listening position to the speakers is set corectly on your receiver. If you have small satelite speakers, make sure that your receiver is set to small or the sound from the sub will suffer. I would suggest you get a home theater setup and diagnostic dvd. This will help you in setting up the levels of your receiver and sub. Hope you're having fun.

9. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

I agree, I think especially for my situation that I definitely need this, will look around for one, thanks.

10. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

you want to keep the settings as small.. it doesnt make them louder, but it does change the crossover, so you get more bass through the speakers.. i believe.

set them all to small if you have a sub, youll have a better sound quality getting bass from the sub rather than tryin to reach it by the speakers. Even huge $1200 floorstanding speakers are set like this.

large is used when there is no subwoofer.

you can set the surround speakers behind you a little, but on the side is best, or.. slightly behind you at ear level.

11. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Thanks, really appreciate the tip!

12. dssgirls3

dssgirls3 Member

Hello ya'll, I am not very technical but also just bought this DVD home theatre sound system off the shelf at Best Buy. It did not have a instruction book but this is the second DVD surrond sound we have had so I know how it goes. I hooked everything up also and I can only get the two left speakers to work (back and front) The bass, two right and center speakers get nothing. I have searched and cannot find a websight to even find a copy of the instruction booklet. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I cannot afford to get another system, but really would love to hear the movies, it sounds like crap right now. Please please help??

13. dssgirls3

dssgirls3 Member

Just to clarify I am asking about the Audiologic 5.1 DVD Home thearte system. I am having the same problem as another post from May.

14. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

If you are talking about the "cheap" Audiologic system that sells for around $60, it's garbage, simply put! Bought one, had problems with it, exchanged it for another, still problems, got fed up, returned it and got the Sony system which is a BEAUTIFUL and powerful system that only cost around $175 on sale at the same Best Buy.
    Too bad you did not get the Booklet with the system, this usually happens when it is a "returned" item, mine had the Booklet which had the number for Audiologic's Tech support, sorry I couldn't be of any help but just wanted to advise you on my experience with that system.