1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting video from camcorder

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by pf03ho, Apr 27, 2007.

1. pf03ho

pf03ho Member

Ok guys,

Ive used Windows Movie Maker to extract a couple of home movies. Its in .wma (i think) format. How do I make this into DVD quality?

Also, I have a couple of movies in .dob format. How do I put these onto a DVD.

In both cases I want to watch the DVD on a regular DVD player

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

Try looking at the "Guides" tab at the top of this page.

Do NOT use Windows Movie Maker if you're planning to make a DVD. It does not capture at a high enough quality. You will need to separately capture, encode, and author.

Some programs allow an all-in-one solution such as Pinncle Studio and Ulead Video Studio (to name a few). Sometimes, these programs come packaged with your video camcorder.

If you want, you can find trial versions at each respective program's website.

3. pf03ho

pf03ho Member

DAMMIT!

Ive already burned 12 hours of footage with WMM, plus the hours editing and stuff.

Is there a way to convert from .wmx to .vob or extension for better quality?

Also, I have a few in .VOB. Is that a good extension to just burn? I used Power Producer

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

I guess I should clarify.

WMM "encoded" to .wmx or .vob. The built-in encoder in WMM is crap and you've lost quality immediately. You can't "bring back" the quality through further conversion.

vob files are dvd-ready files. It's probably about the best you're going to get without re-capturing all your footage again. You're going to have to author the vob's into a DVD-compliant format.

If you're not sure, there should be .ifo, .bup, and .vob files. If you don't see these, then you need to author.