1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GFX CARD HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bennasher, Jul 29, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

AND A POWER SUPPLY.
    That's critically important. And it's an 8600GTS, specifically.

2. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

ok, i know this might be a bit random. But my budget has now increased to around 220 - 240. what can i do with this would you say?
    thanks alot.
    Ben.

3. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Been gambling have ya mate lol

You should be definately able to afford all 3 upgrades then,

For a decent power supply your looking at £40-50 inc p&p

1GB ddr400 £30 - £40 inc p&p

8600gts £130 inc p&p

With some money left over from budget.

But If you was to purchase a 8800gts card instead of the other, your looking at £175 inc p&p

So thats the whole budget gone.

Just to note that these prices are from ebay, if you was to purchase elsewhere then your looking at considerably higher costs.

Perhaps others have ideas where to purchase for your price budget.

4. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

ok then, thanks alot, ill see what i can do with it. By saturday or sunday i should have looked about. Ill look all over the place, not only ebay though. I will definately write back here to say what i got and what you think of it.
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Ben.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

ok, so say i manage to scrape together £300! (i know changing and changing!) Would i be able to get the 640mb, it seems my heart is set on it! and how long do you think the 8800 will last before i need to start thinking about upgrading it again?
    So with the 8800, and the PSU, and the ram, could i by any chance get it all for 300? Thanks alot.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It'd be doable with the 320MB, not the 640MB. The card we've been using is the 8600GTS, significantly slower than the 320MB 8800. The minimum budget to do the 640 with would be around £340.

8. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

So with 300, what do you think my best option would be? And by best i mean, what would push the money to its max, if you get me! Thanks.

9. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

oh, and sorry i dont know how to edit, but which of the two/three cards are DX10. And does DX10 work with XP?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All the geforce 8000 series are dx10 compliant, but XP cannot support Directx10. I highly disrecommend going to Vista just to get Directx10.

11. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

So when games like cysis come out, everyone will have to upgrade to vista? Thats sucks!! i really dont want to get it.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To get the Directx10 features perhaps. Currently all the Vista only games are modifiable to run on XP, since they're not directx10.

13. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

ok guys, so heres the thing. I was looking on ebuyer for what to get and i found a few things i was suprised at, could you take a look?
    First of all was this 1gb stick of Kingston ram for £25.98
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91121

Second was this PSU - i know its ebuyers own make but its 550W for £19.98
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/102993/rb/0

Just because I was thinking of getting 2 sticks of 1gb ram and that PSU for £61.22 and then having the rest of the 300 to spend on the gfx card. Please tell me if this is stupid or not.
    Thanks alot. Also could someone tell me how to find out what is able to go on my motherboard.
    I know this is alot of questions so thanks!

Ben

oh and if anyone knows how to edit on these forums please could you tell me!
    EDIT: Dont worry!! i just found it!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  14. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Just to say the memory that you posted isnt compatible with your board as you require 184pin ddr400 or ddr333,ddr266 .not the 240 pin ddr2.

I think many would agree that when you see a word such as "value" added to a title of an item such as the psu, it usually means the components arnt made to the best standard. So going for the cheaper option will show its lifespan time down the line.

Heres the manufacturers website for your motherboard, telling you exactly what its capable of supporting:-

http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/Product...erboard&ProductID=1911&ProductName=GA-K8NMF-9

15. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

oh no!!well ive definately gotta look out for things liek that. so what, would that mean if i brought it then it wouldnt fit or something?

16. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

correct the memory would not fit as its made only to fit its own specific slot.

17. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

18. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Yeah the specs of it suggest it would be compatible.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Note that I had an ebuyer 600W unit, and its maximum output was 130W before it failed and turned off.
    AVOID

Oh yeah, and so you know, It was replaced with a 450W unit costing £5 more (so more money for fewer watts), and after a year that broke and in the process toasted half the components in my PC and blew a THIRTEEN AMP FUSE. Now in the UK that's a lot of power it accidentally provided. A floppy disk drive had a melted corner, and a 200GB hard disk lost all its data. Fortunately the other three survived.
    never buy cheap power supplies. I wouldn't ever trust expensive PC components and my data down to 'getting lucky'.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  20. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

ok, sorry to sound like a noob! but when you say the max it could go was 130w before it broke what does that mean? i thought that whatever the watt is in your case 600w is what it does?? do you have to change it yourself or something? Thanks for the info.