1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good audio rippers/extractors?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by GameBoy, Aug 21, 2003.

1. GameBoy

GameBoy Guest

Lo people. I'm rather newe to all this, and, as such, I'm wondering wether any of you could advise me of a few good audio rippers/extractors. I've been using AudioGrabber, but I hear there are some better ones out there. What are they called? Are they freeware?.......Occasionaly, one wants to use the best. Thanks for your time.
    GameBoy.

2. unwanted

unwanted Guest

3. GameBoy

GameBoy Guest

Thanks heaps. Freeware is handy, I just got this "Blaze Media Pro v4.4" only to find it has a 15-day trial. NM. Thanks again.
    GameBoy.

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

I recommend Exact Audio Copy (EAC). Best error correction/detection available (-> scratched/dirty CDs). If there's a chance of an uncorrectable audible problem you'll be told for sure. A nice setup tutorial: http://www.angelfire.com/magic/rex/tutorial.htm

Another nice freeware ripper: CDex

5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

6. minix

minix Member

EAC: the best accuracy.

If you want fast speeds:
    - PlexTools if you have a Plextor drive.
    - Feurio if your drive reports C2 errors.

7. GameBoy

GameBoy Guest

kool, thanks people. tell me though, to what extent is the program responsible for decent quality ripping of the ole .cda file into an mp3? i would have put it down to the role of the encoder (lame) or whatever. btw, is it viable to simply replace the lame encoder file in a programs directories with a more recent version? if so, where can i find the most recent or current lame versions?

8. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

It's the combination. Encoding at high quality (--alt-preset standard) doesn't help much if you get annoying clicks/skips/... due to bad extraction of scratched/dirty disks, does it?

lame 3.90.3 or 3.93.1 should be used, at least one of both is available at the download section of afterdawn; replacing should work unless you use a fancy custom-made commandline which isn't recommended. (You might want to have a look at the sticky "recommended lame settings" thread here.

9. scotty007

scotty007 Guest

I would say ever since I discovered CDex and it's versatility with various encoders I've stuck with it. It's free and easy to use.