1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good DVD burners

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by greatone8, Aug 15, 2002.

1. greatone8

greatone8 Member

Im purchasing a a dvd burner in a few days and i have a few questions.
    First of all whats is the difference between dvd-rw, dvd+rw, ect?
    I heard Dvd+rw burners are better so im going to get one of them. Do you know of any good ones that are under 400. Im just going to be burning movies, music, and maybe a few xbox games. Can anyone mention some good burners?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

DVD+RWs are not better than DVD-RW drives.

Most popular drive at the moment is Pioneer A04/104 -- excellent drive that costs less than $300 at the moment.

Difference between DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW is that "plus" discs can be burned only with "plus" drives and "minus" discs can be burned only with "minus" drives. "Minus" discs cost less than $1 a piece while DVD+R (note, most older DVD+RW drives can't burn DVD+R discs) costs around $2-3.

And obviously R = burn once ; RW = burn many times.

3. greatone8

greatone8 Member

thx... that helped alot. Would anyone mind going to this site ( http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/custom/thunderbird.htm ) and telling me if this burner is any good. Scroll down to the cd-rw drive, click on that then scroll down to the dvd-burner......there is only one it is called Pioneer DVD-RW 8x4x2x1 EIDE. Is this burner any good?

4. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I concur, the Pioneer is great and only $300. I have one and have never had a problem. I don't know about the one on your link though, but if you have $400 to spend, spend $100 on beer and but a A04/104.

P