1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good McAfee substitute?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by WierdName, Mar 3, 2007.

1. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

I started up my computer and it took a good 3 minutes! Now, im obviously getting sick of this because I have a 1.1GHz so it runs slow anyways. Mcafee is just sucking up even more resources. Well I ran a quite forum search for a mcafee substitute. No results. So, now I would like an unbias answer from anyone that knows how Mcafee works. I want something that will run in the backround without sucking up the system resources that will activilly scan running scripts. Right now Mcafee will scan scripts to see if they are bad(trojen, virus, etc). My problem with Mcafee is that it takes FOREVER to load up with windows then ocasionally it will have moments when it just slows down the computer to a crawl doing who knows what(doesnt come up with that little box on the side of the screen). Is there something that runs like Mcafee but sucks less resources? Or, is there something to get it to load faster at startup?

-EDIT, Oh right, I have the Mcafee AIO(all in one) 2006 suite.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

The newer, 2007 version is slimmer *and i bet you know that if you can find a cd of it somewhere, the update itself is legal and "free"*
    Otherwise, try AVG free or Avast, with either Comodo firewall or ZoneAlarm free firewall.
    And next time, try putting your question in the RIGHT FORUM...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2007
  3. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Wha? Its in the windows forum. I didnt think I should put it in the virus/trojen section cuz its more on the program side. Anyways, I read/heard somewhere that 07 was bad. I also hear a lot about AVG. What will run fast but activily scan the running scripts? Cuz that has saved me a couple times.

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Mcafee runs actively, not sure if AVG does that.
    As for 2007 being bad, i've had it since the release, not a problem yet.
    Any problems that have occured in other's systems should be patched by now, there's been tons of updates.
    Anyway, since this is about AVS software, which is AVS/Spyware specific software, this is the wrong forum.

5. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Oh. Well sorry about the forum choice. And about mcafee, I guess I might just stick with it. *sigh*, mcafee runs slow...

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Dude, i'm telling you, just get that 2007 cd, it will open your eyes.
    If you look in the right places, it's free even...

7. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Well looking in the right places, 06 was free...
    Is 07 really that good? Maybe I'll look into it.

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Just "try it before you buy it" ;-)

9. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Lol, thats your excuse eh?

EDIT- My excuse is that im not gonna pay for some bloated up piece of ____(you fill in the blank) that locks up my system doing its stupid crap.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Nah, i get it for free legally *working in a pc store has lots of benefits*, but i will admit i'd be damned if i'd pay for bloatware like Mcafee, Norton or the like.

11. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Wow, you got it good.

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

13. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Thanks.

14. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Holy crap! 07 is even worse. And I disabled the wireless protection(cuz my comp doesnt even have any kind of wireless) and its now having a cow cuz im "not fully protected". Not to mention the startup is just as slow...