1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good news for MicroMV users - I think?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by dholly, Mar 3, 2004.

1. dholly

dholly Member

Ok - so I have been wanting to transfer my MicroMV tape content to DVD. But, the need to re-encode mpeg2-TS .mmv format to mpeg2-PS (dvD standard) with the command utility for import into decent editing software other than MovieShaker, then convert to DVD files seemed a real PITA. So, I haven't done anything.

Now, I have just found a recent 2004 Video Editing Software Review at http://www.video-editing-software-review.com/. It would appear there are four software programs to be released in 2004 Q1-Q2 that support direct capture of MicroMV's .MMV format and convert to DV for easy DVD making. The names are below in case the review link is broken.

CyberLink PowerDirector 3
    ULead VideoStudio 7
    Pinnacle Studio AV/DV v9
    Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2

So, can someone with a full grasp of the MicroMV "issue" kindly confirm MicroMV owners will finally be able to enjoy their small, compact digital cameras, capture directly to full featured editing sotware and easily burn those memories to DVD. Please tell me it is so...

2. dholly

dholly Member

Hello...Is anybody working with a MicroMV camera?? Familiar with any of the four editing programs above? I.e., is the "support" of MicroMV's by the above editing programs actually just playing the video out of the camera through its analog outputs and using a capture card that supports analog input? If so, does this means that the camera is going to decompress the video into an analog stream and the capture card is going to recompress into either an MPEG2-PS or DV format? I presume this will result in *noticable* quality loss and if I want to edit extensively, this will mean yet another compression step to get back to MPEG for DVD. Any easy way around this MicroMV mess?

3. cmhall

cmhall Member

I bought my IP7 when it first came out (if I had done better research, I probably wouldn't have done it) I haven't even gotten Sony's Movieshaker to work without distorted images, etc. If what you're saying about future software alternatives is true, I'll flip! If you learn anything else, I'd love to hear about it...

4. dholly

dholly Member