1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good recording software

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ricster, Sep 21, 2004.

1. ricster

ricster Regular member

Can somebody recommend some good free recording software for capturing vinyl ? My Nero Wave Editor software is giving me weird results (pitch suddenly changes a little way through and everything slows down). In desperation I've actually been using the standard Sound Recorder which at least fixes that problem but I'm sure there's something better. Another question - can the recording software actually make that much difference ?

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

I use Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Auditions) to do recording from external sources.

Although it costs, its a good program.

Yes the software, if you use it right, will make a bit of differnce, as you can get rid of some of those hisses and pops from the vinyls etc...

CJC

3. ricster

ricster Regular member

CJC - thanks for the quick response. I'm really looking for a freebie since I've already shelled out for Nero...and I can make do with Sound Recorder if I have to. I'm not so bothered about the hiss/pop since all the vinyl has only ever been played with good cartridges. I was really asking whether the quality of the recording is more down to the software or the sound card/chip.

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

Both the source and the software both play apart in the quality.

But you can download a Free Trial of Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition .. but there are some freebies out there if you go to something like www.download.com

But yea, the Original source and the software do play a part in the quality.

CJC

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

6. ricster

ricster Regular member

Thanks Jeanc1. I'll give that a go.

7. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

Audacity is free and i think it records well. No i don`t think so.

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

~~Oooooops ! you are right Laurixt !!

Audacity is free and it has RECORDING included !

""Audacity is a free audio editor. You can record sounds, play sounds, import and export WAV, AIFF, Ogg Vorbis, and MP3 files, and more. Use it to edit your sounds using Cut, Copy and Paste (with unlimited Undo), mix tracks together, or apply effects to your recordings. It also has a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications. Built-in effects include Echo, Change Tempo, and Noise Removal, and it also supports VST and LADSPA plug-in effects. ""

Get it here :- http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

9. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004