1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good software for pc game backups.

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by pchan424, Oct 28, 2004.

1. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask what most of the users on here favorite program is to backup your copy protected PC games. Im just wondering what the best out there is? or what works the best? things like that. I tried something onetime that was supposed to get past a copy block but no luck. for example i want to back up my copy of black and white. yes its prety old. Thanks for the help everyone.

2. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

With newer protections a lot of it comes down to your hardware,(mainly your writer) but I'd be safe in saying Clone CD, Alcohol 120% and Blindwrite would be the best apps to do the deed :)

3. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Ok thanks much for the info. I also had another question. I know sometimes the program needs to know what type of protections on a cd before you burn it. is there a good site to go to so you can see what type of protection your cd has? in case you need to know

4. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Go here:http://www.aray-software.com/ Aray is the Shiznit when it comes to protection scanners. As versions can differ slightly from country to country, scanning the original you wish to backup is more accurate than looking at a database. Remember you may need to install a game to do a directory scan, as sometimes the protection version is hidden til installation.

5. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Sweet thanks for all the help. Im glad at least 1 person replied. So i guess with alcohol 120% and Aray im all set with everything id need to burn my copy protected cds right? I had another thread where i was seeking a few oppinions to but no one answered that one. =/

6. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Hi again. Ok im having a little problem. I got Alcohol 120% and A-Ray. I got the newest version of both. Im trying to make a backup copy of my "Black and White" Game. I put black and white in my dvd-rom drive and i opened the image making wizard. I selected Safe disk 2/3 data type becuase thats what kind of protection is on Black and white. I click next and use the default disk space and then i just left it on .mds but no matter which one i choose once it starts reading it starts like its ok then errors come up.
    disc read error at 828.
    disc read error at 837
    disc read error at 838
    disc read error at 875
    And so on that continues as long as a let it run.
    I dont know why its doing this i followed the directions prety straight forward. Anyone able to help me out?

7. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

These errors are a normal part of the safedisc protection, they range from the 400-10000 mark. Let it continue through the errors, when its finished with them the image will dump much faster.

8. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Awesome thanks again. I never woulda thought that the errors were ok. Dam it did take a long time though. took about 2 hours or so for the image to be made on the hard drive with all them error things. But i let it go ahead and now the copy works. One thing im kinda curius about though is that the copy wont work in my Dvd-rom drive. It will only play in my burner. When i put it in my dvd rom drive i get error messages:
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006), Click on OK to terminate the application.
    That comes from it trying to autorun the cd
    then when i click on the drive to run the cd manually sometimes i get an error message kinda like that but now its letting me open the cd. Strange.. have any idea whats causing that?
    Oh also one more thing. Im hoping this cd will play in another normal cd drive like on my girlfriends computer. It should right? Or can we only hope heh

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  9. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Sometimes the backup will only work in the drive its created in. Enabling all Safedisc Emulations can bypass the problem.

10. pchan424

pchan424 Member

alright. At which step or when can/do i enable all safedisk emulations? sorry im really new to burning heh thanks again. you've been most helpful i really appreciate it.

11. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

With Alcohol, go to general options, scroll down to Emulations and Extra Emulations, just check all the boxes. Even if you close Alcohol these Emulations will be active, and may allow you to play fom either of your drives.