1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good TV tuner card that allows capture from VCR....?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Sc0rp10n, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Sc0rp10n

Sc0rp10n Member

hi. i'm getting a new pc and would like to get a TV tuner card. 99% of the time i will use the card for watching TV on my pc. ati tv wonder sounds just fine for that.

however, i know at least one time i will need to capture video from my VCR. i really would like to copy my wedding video from my VCR to a DVD. i will have a DVD burner and Nero for DVD burning.

the ati tv wonder states that it can capture video in MPEG-2. it also has composite and S-video inputs. i'm a total n00b to video capture so i need your advice.

are some video capture cards better than others at capturing video from VCR's? will the ati tv wonder allow me to capture the video from the VCR in at least VCR quality or will it be degraded?

what do i need in terms of a video capture card to get my wedding video off of VHS and onto the hard drive (in decent quality) so that i can burn it to a DVD?

2. LIVE4DVD

LIVE4DVD Guest

An ATI All in Wonder card is a great card for capturing video to your hard disk. I recommend the new AIW 9800 Pro w/128 mb.

I just upgraded from an earlier AIW 7500, which also worked great. The new own is just much faster for encoding.

I Capture my VHS tapes and 8 mm tapes through the card onto the hard drive as an MPEG2 file, which is the standard for DVD.

The problem I am having is finding an easy program that will convert the MPEG2 file into Video_TS, etc. files that I can then burn to DVD using Nero.

I thought you could just burn the MPEG2 file to DVD and a stand alone player will recognize, but I was mistaken.

How this helps a little.

3. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

life4dvd, try tmpgenc dvd author. Super simple and nice results. You can even insert chapters really easy.

4. clintgeek

clintgeek Member

What product will accomplish this in a USB 2.0 environment? I have a mini-ITX system built into an old cd player and it does not have room for a PCI card. (see http://www.1callpcsolutions.com/projects/cdpc/ for a better description of the PC)

5. sequio

sequio Guest

I know that there are many different
    kinds of video capture cards. What is the difference between 8bit, 9bit and 10bit encoding? I know the ATI capture card is only 8bit while other capture cards are 10bit. Higher bit is better resolution picture right?
    I went to a website www.cestuff.com They seem to have a lot of PC video stuff and have a lot of video capture cards but I don't know which one is good to buy. Can anyone help?