1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gordian Knot cannot open log file?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jackb, Mar 25, 2003.

1. jackb

jackb Member

Hi, I'm using DivX Pro 5.03 and Gordian Knot 0.27. I'm trying to do two-pass encode on an NTSC interlaced VOB. I have Gordian Knot setup for both passes under the Encoder tab, and the log output is supposed to be E:\test.log. VirtualDub handles the first pass with no problems, but no file called E:\test.log is ever created. Instead, a file called C:\divx.log is made. There is also E:\test_GKnot.log, but this isn't the encoder log file. After the first pass, Gordian Knot then reports an error and says that E:\test.log cannot be opened, cannot count the number of frames, but does progress to the second pass. VirtualDub then asks me if I want to overwrite the old log (C:\divx.log), I click yes, the thing compresses the second pass, but I get a non-functional AVI. Even if I manually try to make Gordian knot do the first pass, copy the C:\divx.log to E:\test.log, and then try to do the second pass, Goridan Knot still says that it cannot open E:\test.log. I'm running Windows XP Pro as admin, so I don't think disk access is an issue. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks.

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Follow this guide and see if there is your fix. I don't use Gordian Knot, I prefer Vidomi.

Gordian Knot guide:http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/gordian_knot_ac3.cfm

Shoey

3. folio

folio Member

Hi,
    I'm having a few probs with Gordian Knot 0.27 as well but not with the codec. i think that your problem is that you are using Divx 5.0.3 which is not a compatible codec with 0.27. try uninstalling 5.02(pro) codec and see from there...use the guide step by step...best of luck
    folio

4. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

jackb, you don't want to move C:\divx.log or change it's name. That log is used by the DivX codec and is not the same log as the GordianKnot log. It is where DivX keeps it's first-pass info to refer to and improve on during the second pass.

Also, your <non-functional avi> problem could be caused by using the wrong settings in the DivX dialog. During the first pass the setting should be "Multipass - 1st Pass." During the secong pass, the setting should be "Multipass - Nth Pass." If you mistakenly end your encode with a pass that had the setting "Multipass - 1st Pass," the avi will not play.

I've used GordianKnot before and although I never could get good results with it, I never got the problem you're having. If I remember correctly, the GordianKnot log should be in the same folder where you saved the project with DVD2AVI.

Good luck. Hope this helps.