1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got 10K to spend. Need your help quick !

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ding0220, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ding0220

ding0220 Member

Hello Guys,
    Just came across this site and love it, lots of info and it seems like alot of people know there stuff around here..so i decided to ask some questions about my personal setup and what would be the BEST option for me

I was thinking about setting up a MCE Media Server that has all my media (pics,DVDs, movies,videos & music), and add 3 powerful HTPCs for the home theater, game room, and family room.
    I currently have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 server that I plan to use as the media server. It has Intel Dual Core Xeon 5050 2x2MB Cache 3.00GHZ processor, 2GB memory, PERC5/i Integrated Controller Card, two 80GB hard drive.

My main goal is that i want to have all the HTPCs to access the server, and play movie/music. Also, each HTPC will be able to record the Dish program and save it to the server. Each HTPC can play standard DVD, and blue ray DVD.

My budget is 10K. I want to spend some $ to upgrade the server first, get more hard drives (3 - 5 TB). then use the rest to build 3 HTPCs. So, please let me what do you think it's the best setup.

(1) Case? desktop style, not tower, need to be mounted in the rack

(2)CPU/Memory/Motherboard?

(3)Drives, storage space ???

(4)Remote control/access to the HTPC

(5)Capture Device?

(6)Video Card with HDMI output?

(7)Audio?

(8)Any other cards?

(9)OS?

(10)HTPC software?

Thank you for reading

2. Indochine