1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got a virus tried to reformat now it wont read anything

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by bmsweeney, Sep 25, 2007.

1. bmsweeney

bmsweeney Member

Ok so my brother gets a virus he does exactly what he is sappose to do but the disc wont complete so he had to stop in the middle of the reformat process..now every time I try to boot in it goes to the screen with the type of comp but then nothing..I get a black screen with a line blinking in the top left corner..any idea...all would help...

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

What steps were taken to format the machine? Do you have the Installation CD of the OS you desire to put back on the machine?

Is your installation CD in the machine when you start it? Are you giving the computer enough time to think before you turn it off again?

Sorry to ask all of these questions but people do not realize that a virus is a program and can be removed from the machine without reformatting the machine. Another thing that people do not realize is that just because you format the machine the virus could still be there. you may not notice it right away, but generally it could be hidden in your registry if the machine was not formatted properly.

I will try to help you out if you could answer those questions so that I know what I'm dealing with.

3. bmsweeney

bmsweeney Member

Truthfully I dont know the steps he took before he called me.. When I got there I did what I knew was right to get the machine up and running...

As of right now I put it to boot from the windows CD let it restart and I wait..it takes me to a screen that is black with a blinking line up on the top left hand corner. Now I personaly have never seen this.. But I do know from what I was being told on the phone he said that the virus he got were deleting files so he ran a virus program and the virus started moving faster..then it restarted it self and thats it cant get in it.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Is the OS Vista or XP? We will need to start with the BIOS so I need to know which OS I am dealing with. This problem normally occurs if the machine is shut off in mid install. Make sure that there are no external devices connected to the machine before you begin. This includes all USB devices, printers, scanners, etc. Let me know what OS it is and I can give you some steps to help you get it corrected.

5. bmsweeney

bmsweeney Member

Right now its XP at this time I have taken all externals off of it...I just want to get it up and running again and I have never seen this prob before

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

First thing that we need to do is to check the BIOS. I don't know what computer you are using, but most of the time you can get to the BIOS by pressing F12 or F2 at startup. You will see the option on the original load screen as soon as you start the computer.

Make sure that in the BIOS that it detects your processor and its speed, your RAM, Your HDD 0, Your CD/DVD Drives, and any other drives that may be on the machine.

While you are there check the bootup order and make sure that HDD 0 is in there. It is generally the third in order if you have a floppy drive. The order is floppy, optical, HDD 0, other devices.

If all of that is correct then we can proceed. The next step is using the recovery console on the XP disk. Does he have the original XP disk or is it an OEM version from a provider?

7. bmsweeney

bmsweeney Member

ok it detects everything its sappose to..but no matter what I have tried resetting the bios reseting I cant get it to read the disc...but it does try to read it..and he has a actual store bought XP disc

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

When you put the disk in and start the computer does it give you the option to boot from the CD? you should be able to press any key to continue and have the CD boot the machine.

The boot order should be optical before HDD. If it is not then the computer will not boot from the CD. Double check that in the BIOS and let me know what happens. If it is set up properly but not reading the CD then the drive could be bad. If you have another drive to put in you may have to. We need to be able to run the recovery console.

Let me know.

9. bmsweeney

bmsweeney Member

at first it wouldnt read the disk.. so what I did after ur last post was to reset the bios completly then I stuck in a windows Vista disk..well because I didnt have windows on there at all it wouldnt allow me to install it so I did a repair option then put in the XP disk and it now reads the disk just fine and I am able to reformat...

Thank u for the help and ur time..

10. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Not a problem. Please let me know if you come into any more problems.