1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got new PC Case...no reset button! advice please!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pieman, May 13, 2005.

1. pieman

pieman Regular member

Hi guys.finally treated myself to a new case.Wasnt much info from suppliers or the website so i found out what it was like when it was delivered.Is a lian-li v1100 aluminium job.Problem is the dumb f$%£s havent included a reset switch anywhere on the case.My question is, when my system locks (which it does sometimes) how do i safely rest it bearing in mind start>turn off>turn off doesnt work ie: mouse lock??Also, i need a floppy drive but cant use a 5" bay cos i need all 5 that are there (dumb f£$%ks no dedicated space for floppy)...Can I boot up from an external floppy? my board is an asus k8v-x.Boy do i feel stupid!!(looks like an imminent e bay sale coming!)Any help and ridicule welcomed!!

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You can have alook in the BIOS settings and see if you can assign your power button to instantly turn the PC off if there is internal ACPM then it will do basically the same as a normal shutdown.

Other than that, make one yourself, you will have a reset circuit on your motherboard, so you could obtain a simple momentary switch and mod it yourself, or obtain a switch from an old case.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I agree with baabaa on this, and an easy solution would be to incorporate this reset button on a “PCI card mount”, one that is blank on your case at present in the back of the PC. This will avoid a conflict with ascetics of your new case or an accidental reset by mounting it in the front.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  4. haimback

haimback Regular member

as for the floppy drive - found your specs should be somewhere to get the floppy.....

5. pieman

pieman Regular member

Thanks guys..Feeling a bit better now!Great idea about mounting one on a pci mount, and ill check the bios re the power button.Looks like ill butcher my old case, but id have expected more from a case that costs 150 squid! @haimback...i need the 5"bays for two opticals and three harddrives that are mounted in zalman passive coolers (cools and quietens them really well).But as you pointed out, theres nothing to stop me from putting the floopy in an internal bay i suppose.Just a bit gutted that i have to f&^% about with a brand new top spec(?) case.thanks again.Have a pie on me!!

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I'll have a Wrights then, thankyou..............

[​IMG]

If you're feeling rather peckish then drop in here, lovely soundtrack..............LOL

http://www.wrightspies.co.uk/

Hope you get the case sorted, amazing really, you can pickup a cheapo, and have all you need on it, but when you splash out on a beast, the little things you expect to be there are not........

7. killalot

killalot Active member

Have a close look at the front of the case is there one or two small holes if so you stick a paper clip in the hole and that is the reset button never seen a case yet with-out a reset on it.......

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

name brand computers like compaq, hp & others mostly don't have resets whereas clone cases usually do so that case posted above is 1st i've heard of without a reset button!

9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

you can always just hold the power in for like 10 seconds and it will shut it down . check disk might run after you reboot .

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i modified a hp case as i had changed the board for a customer & put in a reset button in

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I love my Lian Li PC-70USB case. It is a few years old, though, and I don't know if they still make it. It has 6 exposed 5-1/4" drive bays, 3 exposed 3.5" bays (where I have my floppy and zip drives), and 6 hidden 3.5" bays for hard drives. There are 2 variable speed fans on the front of the case which blow air across the hard drives for cooling.

The case does have a reset button, and I was surprised when you said that your Lian Li doesn't. All changes are not for the better.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  12. pieman

pieman Regular member

Problem solved!What with the lack of reset button,not really enough 5" bays, opening on the right side and a door that is not reversible...got rma and sent it back.Sitting here with a black cloud over my head:(!!

13. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

yeah ddp is right, i have HP PC and i dont have a reset button, i just hold down the on button for a few seconds! works ok for me