1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got the I/O Error blues ..plz help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bigtaco, Oct 18, 2004.

1. bigtaco

bigtaco Member

I just purchased a new DVD burner and am in the process of learning the ropes. I am totally new to all this so please bear with me. I am using DVD Shrink in in conjunction with DVD Decrypter to try and burn my first DVD. I am referencing ScubaPete's excellent guide for using Shrink and Decrypter. Everything goes fine until Decrypter starts laying the lazer to the disk. It gets to about 48% then I get the same I/O error. Here is is...

I/O Error

Device :[0:0:0] ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16 G7C9 (H:) (USB)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00.........ect ect
    Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 958016-958047

Sense Area: 71 00 00 00 ........ect ect
    Interpretation: Invalid Address for write

I have browsed the site and found my problem is most likely the media I was using. So I then upgraded to SONY DVD-R disks. Still the same problem. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

2. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Do you have Roxio Easy cd creator installed. If so completely uninstall the program. I had version 6 basic,it came with my burner,and when I updated to dvd decrypter v3.5 I got all kinds of I/O errors 98% of the time. I also use tweak now registry cleaner to completely remove all leftover roxio remenents from my registry and I haven't had a problem since. Any packet writing software,in roxio its called drag to disk, is always accessing your burner so if you don't have roxio and have other packet software remove it. I believe in nero its called IN CD. A good quality disk is maxell dvd-r 2x-4x yellowish/gold tops. I haven't had a problem with these yet.When I need to use roxio I just reinstall it.When I burn dvd's I go through the uninstall process.

3. colw

colw Active member

Are you using a USB connection to an external burner?

If so are you using a USB2 connection?

If you are using USB1 you are likely to have problems transferring your data (too slow) leading to errors.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Member

Thanks for the input guys!
    Well bigwop, I use to have Roxio installed so I am in the process of running TweakNow to clean up my registry.
    I also noticed that I don't have USB2. Is it possible to upgrade to USB2?

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Member

YAY! I just realized my USB "Enhanced" host controller didn't have its drivers installed. So I guess I do have USB 2. But how do I tell which port it is if they all look the exact same?

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Member

Well I successfully burned my first DVD. Although I am still making 90% coasters... Anyone else have any idea what could be getting me these write errors? Perhaps some settings in Decrypter or Shrink?

7. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

You might try slowing the write speed when you burn the DVD.

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Member

I returned my new DVD player, brand name "I/O majic". DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND DVD PLAYER :) I went with suggestions from this website and purchased a Plextor. Successfully burned 10 DVDs now with 0 errors...