1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

grahic cards

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by arrygrout, Jan 9, 2006.

1. arrygrout

arrygrout Member

can someone tell me how easy is it to fit my own card also what is meant by a driver, newbie question i know

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

first of all. it is very easy to fit your own graphics card. everything in a computer slots together and only goes in one way so you cant really mess that up.

secondly a driver is a file that allows hardware (such as a graphics card) to function correctly.

3. lynchy911

lynchy911 Guest

Just make sure that the graphics card is compatible with your mother board eg pci express card won't fit into an apg 8x slot.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

and good cards now are pretty inexpensive

5. lynchy911

lynchy911 Guest

True to that aabbccdd, they don't cost an arm and a leg now days.

lol funny how forgeting one word makes you look like a noob.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2006
  6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i said [bold]inexpensive [/bold] NOT expensive LOL

7. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

if graphix arent the most important thing to you.... youll find that the geforce 5500 is fairly reasonable.... and compatible with most games.. but ati has some better cards for the money.... (in my opinion) and whatever you do... dont get your card at wal mart unless your going to get them to price match.... youll find it cheaper at a specialty shop or even office depot or office max, circuit city, or best buy... wal mart ripped me a new bumhole on my first graphix card... but it was 4 in the morning so where else was i going to go??? (no patience)

8. pity99

pity99 Member

sometimes when your choosing a graphics card for your computer you wanna look at your processor. For instance, you don't need an entirely soup-ed up crazy style processor if you have a nice graphics card. And vice-versa

9. pity99

pity99 Member

sometimes when your choosing a graphics card for your computer you wanna look at your processor. For instance, you don't need an entirely soup-ed up crazy style processor if you have a nice graphics card. And vice-versa

10. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

good point...

11. coolbrz

coolbrz Member

Heck even a GeForce 6200 is cheap! I would get that one before a 5500.

12. dvd_craze

dvd_craze Regular member

i wanna try out this game i picked up for like 20 bucks. I heard its an alright game. Its called Guild Wars. The recommendations for this game is a geforce 4....64 mb graphics card. Is this a high end card or mid range or crappy? What graphics card would you recommend?Not too expensive but can handle most games.

13. esrever

esrever Regular member

I have GW...it's pretty good for the most part...although I have recently taken more of a liking to WoW. They are both MMORPGs, although GW graphicly looks better, however it is less involved than WoW. Anyways as far as graphics cards go you can view the recommended and minimum reqs, all you have to doo is google guild wars or guild wars reqs and see what pops up.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  14. dvd_craze

dvd_craze Regular member

ya on the box it says i need a geforce 4 graphics card but is this card a high end card or mid range.Would i be able to play WOW with it?

15. TMACRPG

TMACRPG Regular member

A GeForce 4 was a high-end card back about 4 years ago. I still have one in my extra computer back at home, and it can indeed run WoW...however you're honestly going to want a better card.

GeForce 4 is the MINIMUM requirement for WoW, meaning that it's the baseline in which WoW will run reasonably well. However a system like my extra PC at home: Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz CPU, 512 SDRAM and the GeForce 4200 Ti 128 Mb, WoW will run, but pretty much on the lowest settings and and resolution. Even with everything turned down, you still might get some hardware lag (lag based on your computer not the server).

Depending on your current PC's specs and a budget you would be willing to spend, I or anyone else who wishes, could easilly give you recommendations on a new graphics card, ATi or nVidia.

16. dvd_craze

dvd_craze Regular member

Hey guys thanks for the info. One more question. Is the GeForce 6800 256MB PCI-Express a decent enough graphics card?

17. TMACRPG

TMACRPG Regular member

Yep! It's not just decent, it's a good card, and more then enough to handle WoW. The 6800 series includes: 6800, 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra, in increasing performance order. They're pretty top of the line for nVidia based cards. (7800 series is the current top)

Also, PCI-Express is a sound investment, considering it's the new accepted graphics interface. HOWEVER, you should make sure that your motherboard has a PCI-E x16 slot. PCI-E cards only work in the designated x16 PCI-E, they won't function in a normal PCI slot or AGP port.

18. gunman6

gunman6 Guest

Read the instructions thats what i did, now im living it up with a nividia GeForce 8400 MMM, lots of half-life 2 play.