1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grainy result from ATI TV Wonder 640x240 capture

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sw_man, Mar 26, 2004.

1. sw_man

sw_man Member

I use the ATI Digital VCR capture utiltity to record video from composite video. My capture settings are Video: MPEG2 640x240 (max res.) NTSC 8.00 MB/second Audio: 48 KHz 16 Bit Stereo. Playback of the captured video is high quality. However, after using DVD lab, or any other DVD authoring software to create/burn a DVD, the resulting video is grainy compareed to the original captureed video. I'm thinking that the DVD authoring program is converting the orgignal captured video resolution from 640x240 to D1 which is 780x480 (?) and this is anagolous to blowing up a 35 mm photograph which tends to look grainy. I'm guessing the original capture needs to be D1 or 780x480 in order to retain the origianl quality. Am I right? Any suggestions?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

OK...The ATI Drivers for your Card are Total Crap and it is the Drivers that are limiting your Capture resolution to 640+240..I used to own one of those same cards and discouvered that if you un-Install the Drivers for your Card and used these Drivers instead you would be able to capture at 720x480 and Higher and in Sterio..
    Go to this Page to download the Driver and be sure to read the Instructions before installing them..
    http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/
    After installing these Drivers you will be able to capture at Full resolution but you will NOT be able to use the ATI Capture Software with these Drivers but you will be able to use allmost every other Capture program..If you PM me with your E-Mail address I can send you a Simple Capture Program that will work with your Card and capture at Full resolution then there will be no need to re-encode your Captured file just so you can resize the Resolution....Cheers
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004