1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic card FaceOff

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mudywater, Mar 7, 2007.

1. mudywater

mudywater Guest

So I have been wondering what graphic/video cards are out there today that can compete with the ps3, 360, wii, or even the ole ps2.

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

Ps2 everything from a radeon 9600PRO can outpace a ps2 GPU.
    Wii Id say its about the power of the X1600
    360 about X1950's power
    Ps3 nothing so far.

3. rudsta816

rudsta816 Member

video game system's gpu's arent that impressive...its the fact that the maching is TOTALY dedicated to one thing, the game. computers have backround processes and many other things that conosles dont have to deal with like protecting it self

4. steimy

steimy Active member

the XFX Nvidia GeForce 7900GS is a nice card if you are in the market. It will play any game out there right now with no problem at all. I have the 7600GT and it plays Rainbow Six Vegas without a hitch.

5. mudywater

mudywater Guest

ok word. I just bought one of these off ebay for $350. Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Crossfire PCI-E X1950 XTX. And I saw that It can be run kinda like nvidias SLI in that you can combine 2 512mb cards for 2wice the performance. Well thats sucks for gaming companies, it seems that pc's have already surpassed them in performance within a year. Its to bad that they dont think to make their machines upgradable like pcs. Now if only they would come out with better games for the P.C.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the xbox 360 has the best graphics card out of all current consoles, the ps3 compansates for this with its superior cell cpu.

all consoles have been greatly super seeded by the new dx10 cards.

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

Sorry for the late reply but i couldn't leave it without a reply :D.
    DirectX 10 will do nothing in bringing down the Ps3 and 360 you see consoles are much more programable when running games then Pc's are just take a Look at Gran Turismo 4 that game runs on Hardware designed way back in 97 I think, 98 and 99.
    Right now still there is no Computer that one has that can beat a Ps3 one on one by that i mean no dual parts like Dual Graphics card one graphics card a single cpu with how ever many cores will not bring down the Ps3's Cell cpu.
    Even a Wii for a pc to run games at that quality you would need to spend about 1,000+au on a pc belive it or not the wii runs Metroid Prime 3 at a constant 60fps 480p without a studder.
    Sure its only 640x480 but i doubt we would find a PC which costs no more then 400au.???

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The PS2 was designed in 97? fair enough.
    GT4 works because it 'cheats' with the draw distances and texels, and it's starting to show. It looks amazing for what sort of system it runs on, but now that consoles are nearly as powerful as gaming PCs, that's being lost.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Dazila maybe you should grab a copy of Oblivion on your precious PS3 and compare it to an High End PC, you'll see the difference. I'm not trying to sound rude but computers have already surpassed the gaming consoles.

With that out of the way, games don't look any better on the PS3 than on the 360, games actually tend to look better on the 360 if they are multi platform.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We don't want a console fanboy war here, that's reserved for the apocalyptic console forums. From what I've seen, the graphics on the 360 and PS3 are very similar, some games look better on one, others on the other, if there's anything to draw, the textures are marginally better on the 360, and the lighting seems marginally better on the PS3, but that's it, it's marginal. A High end PC will still best both of them, not to mention get a better frame rate, I don't recall noticing it with many previous consoles, but the frame rate the 360 gets, even playing older games like the original Halo co-op at standard def, is pretty low. I'm not sure why that is, given that Gears of war seems fine in HD... All I can assume is that the CPU is weaker than first suspected, but the graphics card is what makes up for it.
    Sufficeto say, you can make your games look better than any console using anything above a 7600GT, and that's not exactly break-the-bank material.

11. snarple

snarple Member

The bottom line is a pc can be much better then a 360 or ps3 if you want to spend the money.

When GTA3 came out i picked it up thinking my pentium 4 with 512mb rd ram (most expensive ram ever) would be able to play it with a steady frame rate. It played great till i robbed a car and drove around. It had a lot of frame rate problem and I felt like it wasn't enjoyable like this. I think it could have been my graphics card needed updating but I just didn't want to spend the money. Picked up a ps2 for under $200 at the time and enjoyed GTA3.

If you want to spend the money into new processors, graphic card and ram yea a pc can rock, but it cost money. Not to mention eventually realizing it might just be cheaper to buy a whole new computer.

For me game consoles are just easier. Yea the graphics can get dated after 4 years but you figure a new system will come out around that time and you can just spend the money on that. Money buys good games it depends how often you want to spend it.

12. AXT

AXT Guest

The PS3 can split graphics processing with it's CPU's. Graphics processing is not just the GPU's job in the playstation 3. But the PC's now are superior to the consoles if they have the right hardware. The reason consoles are more popular is because you don't have to spend over $1000 to play games with all the eye candy like you have to with the PC. But if you do have the money, the gaming experience is far superior on a PC than on a console.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2007
  13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Some of us don't use our PCs specifically for gaming. That makes a PC worthwhile even though it is more expensive. If you are just looking to play games then an Xbox 360 is a much better deal compared to a High end PC.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is true. However, even if you have frame rate issues, the game will look better on the PC and you can always turn the settings down (that is true of vs. PS2 titles anyway, the current generation changed that)