1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic card? Sims Please Help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Adamc2326, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

I do not have another pc in which I can try :-(

Adam

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, because it should really be that simple to get a display adapter working. It's plugged in securely yes?
    What rating is your power supply?

3. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

Yes it fits in securley all lights up so must be a good connection, power supply is 240.

I think it I will send card back and try another just to rule out a faulty card.

I will keep you posted with the outcome.

Adam

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sure, keep us posted.

5. Molder

Molder Regular member

Normally all you do is slip the new card in and plug your monitor into it and the bios will detect the new card and shut off the on board graphics.

Try going into the bios (tap del as the PC boots) there maybe a setting for you to turn it off.

You are plugging your monitor into the new card arn't you??

Keep us posted.

M

6. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi Molder

I tried everything and yes was plugging the monitor into the new card.

I sent the card back and am awaiting the replacement shoud be here tomorrow, I am hoping the card was at fault !!!!

Keep you posted

Adam

7. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hello

Well I recieved my new card this morning and followed the exact same procedure uninstalled the onboard graphics and installed the graphic card and booted up......

Bad news it didn't work just a plain black screen!!

Worst news I removed the graphics card and went to boot up pc as normal the computer acts correctly loads up the normal startup screens it gets to were it displays the Windows XP logo, next step should be the desktop but that no longer comes up just a black screen??

Does any one know what might have happened and how I can resolve this I tried a qucik system recovery but still the same.

Please Help

Adam

8. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Firstly to fix the onboard graphics from going blank after xp logo try holding in the "F8" key before the xp logo loading bar comes up, it should display a list screen, select "ENABLE VGA MODE" then enter. now you shouldnt get the blank screen. if still the same then restart the pc.

For the graphics card not picking up is strange as AGP normally gets auto detected and boots from it, but then it might be it isnt set in bios which has been said. So try this- go into the bios by tapping the "delete" / "del" button on your keyboard when turning on your computer, continue doing this until you see a blue screen appear.
    Now you should be at the bios menu, now find the option "Integrated Peripherals" press enter on that. now another list should come up. find "Init Display First" press enter on that. now make sure that AGP is set to first. if it isnt then select it to first then press the "F10" key on your keyboard to save the setup and ok. Then quickly connect the monitor to the graphics card port. If its already set to default then i dont get why it isnt getting picked up first.

9. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Thanks for your reply I tried the f8 mode and enable vga after selecting the computer does the same thing after windows xp logo a black screen?

Have you any other idea I triecd the procedure about four time and nothing

Adam

10. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Try selecting "last known good configuration" from the "F8" menu.

If same then select "safe mode" after this try the "enable vga mode" again, it should fix it.

11. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

I am sorry to say none of the above worked :-(

I cant understand it, is there anything else left to try?

Adam

12. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Did you check the bios setting for the graphics card?

13. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

yes and agp is set to first

14. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

mmm

seems strange, best bet would be to wait for other users response. But you could do a xp repair installation using the xp disk, would keep them important files, but as i say if someone else has a solution its worth waiting as thats a last ditch effort.

15. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Ok thank you for all your help I hope that is the last ditch effort as I do not have a xp disc, would doing a complete system recovery do the same thing if it comes to it?

Thanks Agian

Adam

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Doing an XP recovery should work. I'm also at a loss as to why the system can't display the XP logon screen.