1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card -how important

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by F#m7, Jan 9, 2005.

1. F#m7

F#m7 Member

Hello folks.

I am having problems with crashing and the odd BSOD when trying to finalise my authored movies.

I have tried various software Ulead / Cyberlink / Nero, but always end up crashing.

When I receive my report from windows I always get “driver caused error” or “graphics driver caused error”

I have dated my drivers god knows how many times from various sites but I always end up crashing.

I had been told in the past that the graphics card is mainly for gamers and plays little part in DVD playback or video authoring.

How true this is, and if wrong what would be a good card for authoring (I play no games at all)

Any help would be much appreciated
    Richard.

Windows XP Pro SP2
    AM Athlon XP2500+ (Barton core)
    512 mb RAM
    ASRock K7S41GX
    Intergrated Audio
    Hercules NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    80gb -Maxtor 6Y080L0
    80gb - WDC WD800JB-00JJA0

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

You shouldn't need to upgrade your graphics card. It doesn't do much for video authoring. You need memory, CPU & harddrive space for video authoring....of which you have enough.

Did this previously work or is this a first try? If it used to work...
    Did you have this problem before you went to XP SP2??
    Any hardware or software changes recently?

Adder.

3. F#m7

F#m7 Member

Thanks for the reply adder01

I had SP2 installed before I started video authoring, so I do not think it has anything to do with SP2.

The programmes did work originally with the integrated graphics on the motherboard, but it started to crash after I had completed a couple of home movies, with the ‘graphics driver error’ message

So I disabled the drivers for the integrated card, threw in this an old graphics card (Hercules NVidia Geforce 2 MX) and installed the latest drivers, but I still get the same error messages !!

Any other thoughts on this ?

Thanks again
    Richard.

4. askyew

askyew Regular member

Driver cleaner:
    http://www.drivercleaner.net/
    read the directions and follow them to remove old drivers then update to the latest drivers for your card. It is very important that you remove the old cobwebs with video drivers.