1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Card Opinion

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Matt84, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Matt84

Matt84 Member

So, is there much difference between a card in the PCI slot then in an AGP slot?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

agp runs at least double plus of that to standard pci not pci/e. 2x agp is 66mhz, 4x is 133 & 8x is 266mhz

3. indienemo

indienemo Guest

About 99.9999% of PCs have AGP slots unless the PC you bought is 16 years old or bought off your best mates cousins brothers mates uncle called 'Dave'. Shop around, you can get a ATI radeon 9800SE for about $160, then you can use w1zzards soft mod to upgrade it to a 9800 Pro.... saving yourself $150...

4. ddp

indienemo, quote "About 99.9999% of PCs have AGP slots unless the PC you bought is 16 years old" unquote, more likely 75% have agp slots as p1s didn't get agps til near the end & i've seen p2s & 3s not have agps & possibly even p4 & equivalent

5. Matt84

Matt84 Member

So, after using PC Wizard this is what comes up when I click on the AGP Bus...

Bus Information :
    Device : 82801BA/CA/DB/EB/ER (ICH2/3/4/5/5R), 6300ESB Hub Interface to PCI Bridge
    Number of AGP connectors : 1
    AGP enabled : No

The guy a couple posts ahead say I do have a open AGP slot but its just confused because its Dell?

6. ddp

possiblity agp is not enabled in bios, so check in bios. also to confirm if you have agp slot by looking at motherboard & find a brown slot connector near the cpu about same length as the white pci slots but set back further from back of case

7. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

On Sims 2, i have also the same problem with it being slow and choppy and freezing on movements while playing the game. I downloaded the PC Wizard but it closes on me. Intergrated 64Mb 3D Video Accelerator is what i have in my machine. Does this need to be replace with a more up to date video card that is better suited to handle this game?

8. ddp

you only have 192meg left once you take out 64meg from 256meg. do you have an agp slot on motherboard. what version of directx are you using

9. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

The recent version of DirectX, i'm not sure of. How would i be able to find out on my pc what i have?

10. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

The apg slot your talking about, i opened up my pc case and i seen a brown colored slot (blowing out the dust). Nothing was in the slot though.

11. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

i went ahead and went to msn page for the lastest DirectX update. Still the game runs slow at times and freezes. Any recommendations on what kinda video card i should get to make this run smoother?

12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

get a 9800SE for £75, then use w1zzards soft mod to make it a 9800 Pr0o.

13. ddp

the agp slot was it close to cpu, about same length as pci but set back from back of case further than pci

14. Divinus

Divinus Guest

The brown slot is definitely your AGP slot. I've never seen a brown PCI slot in my life and I've worked on some pretty old junkers.

The Sims 2 requires more RAM than anything. I run the game on my PC and I notice that it must have a memory leak as over time it runs slower and slower and slower. Uses my page file more and more. To play the Sims 2 lag free I would recommend at least a 512MB stick and a 128MB or 256MB, even another 512MB if applicable. This game is one killer hog on resources, reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies. Your video card will make an impact on the Sims 2 but not as much as more ram will.

[bold]Edit:[/bold] I wanted to clarify on this that fixing one problem won't solve your problem entirely. What I mean by that is, if you get a lot more RAM the game is still going to lag bad because of the lack of video power, and if you get the video card it's still going to lag because of the lack of RAM. You're really kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here since you need both to have a descent gaming experience.

Doom 3 should run great on 512MB ram but it'll eat a 5200FX up and spit it out. I'd do what most said and get the 9800SE and soft mod it to the Pro version.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2004
  15. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

Let me get this clean, i should get the ATI Radeon 9200SE AGP 128 MB Graphics Card, not the ATI Radeon 9200SE PCI 128 MB Graphics Card correct?

16. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

i ment "clear".

17. ddp

yes as pci not pci/e runs at 32mhz whereas agp 1x is 66mhz, 2x i128 mhz & so on so get agp but also more ram

18. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Honestly I'd get something a bit more powerful than the 9200. Most people here were recommending you get the 9800SE version and you can download a program that will soft mod or overclock it of a sorts to a 9800 Pro version, which is obviously faster.

I'm not sure if they even make the 9800 cards in PCI so you shouldn't have to worry about buying the wrong one. Basically, get an AGP card definitely and that 9800SE is probably your best bet. I'd grab a 512MB stick that runs the same speed as your 256MB stick and then you'll have 768MB which is enough for 95% of games out there. You'll have 768MB RAM and a 9800 Pro video card... You should be set for a while. That combo should play Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 pretty well.

19. indienemo

indienemo Guest

yeah thats exactly what ive jsut upgraded from...ran games fine, just needed to do some server stuff which needed more muscle behind it...what i would say is that make sure the 9800SE you buy has 16 pipelines, this is needed to softmod it to the 9800PRO... most have 16 on board, and only 12 active... which the softmod unlocks for you... but some 9800SE's only have 12 on board and 12 active...so you will achieve nothing modding this card.. if you are unsure check the techno babble on the tech spex on the back of the 9800SE you buy. I recommed buying from overclockers.co.uk or ebuyer.com....all theirs have 16 pipelines

20. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

ok, will the MSI ATI Radeon 9200se 128 MB AGP 8x Video Card do just fine? Not for sure how many pipelines it has. Just checking with the techno's here.