1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Card!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 29, 2004.

1. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

I know the crap like the SiS and crap ones like that share the ram but not to sure about the Radeons and GeForces.

Regards
    CoZZa

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

SiS dont make video chip do they? I thought they just make North/South bridges and add a video chip by Intel, Ati, or nvidia or something.

3. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

SiS Chipsets.....

Regards
    CoZZa

4. Praetor

Yes I know SiS make chipsets (not so great ones either) but they dont make the video compoenent of that (and thus wouldnt have a 'say' as to the type and quantity of memory on them). As far as I know they just make the North- and Southbridge and slap in a 3rd party video chip.

5. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Yea SiS usually use a Intel Video Chip.
    What i am saying is most Onboard Video Graphics USUALLY have Shared Memory. Some of the nForce etc maybe have their own onboard memory, im not sure with that.

Regards
    CoZZa

6. Praetor

Ya i did some research .. your mobo has some obscure (read: crappy), video controller and is prolly configured to use 64MB of system memory as video ram

7. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Yea my point, they Share the Memory..
    I could of found Evidence of my claim bit its 3am in the morning.... lol

Regards
    CoZZa

8. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Yeah i set that to 32 now when my card comes i will set it to 0.

My question is will i see a HUGE Visual improvements on the games. max payne for instance i play that on the lowest settings am guessing i can now play it at the highest settings now?

9. Praetor

Yes you will see a huge difference. Enough for you to say "Im not going to use onboard video ever again". :)

10. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Thank You Praetor now my heart is at rest. well i was wondering how come its so cheap? its a 9600 so it will beat the nvidia fx5200 one easily yet they the same price?

11. Praetor

Dont by the GFX5200 at any cost, hell buy the GF4MX if you have to. Ive said this to you twice already: the GFX5200 is crap.

12. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Yeah i know i took your advice and bought the ati one. I was just thinking how come its so cheap. am gonna do some reasearch and see if i can overclock it back to a 9600pro, any help?

13. Praetor

The question about cheap was also answered. Its because of the 64bit memory structure.

14. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Sorry my mistake must have missed that, so am guessing there us no way to get that back upto 128?

15. Praetor

No.... thats why its cheap.... its a good card, dont get me wrong....just dont expect to run UT2004 @1280x1024 with settings ramped to max and expect 30+fps.

Same goes for the FX5200 -- its a solid card for its price bracket but its performance is seriously lacking. It makes for an excellent business card or for users who play games from time to time and never play the ultra high req. games much.

16. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

So in conclusion could i play pretty much any game at a descent rate for a while?

17. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

If I were you I save my money and see if you can get the non-SE version, as all SE cards are the underclocked version of said card (usually GPU that could not reach the minimum specs of said design).
    As far as overclocking it, well you might be able to, but spend the extra cash and get a better card (that usually comes with more memory).Better to wait a little bit longer and get a better card(and like that you don't have to update your card as soon.

18. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I have never been a gaming person, always used teh onboard graphics but my friends want to play counterstrike so i am gonna start playing that with them. anyway my budget was £50 andas you have already said this beats the other one so am happy

19. Praetor

You havnt really been clear from the begining as to what you are using your vid. card for primarily.
    - If you want gaming performance get a non-SE or a non-MX or a non-GFX5200 version
    - If you want performance at at any cost get anything that costs more than $400 USD
    - If you want virtually no gaming performance get a business/budget card like the 9200SE, GF4MX, GFX5200 etc
    - If you want some gaming performance id's still reccommend you get a non-SE, non-MX, non-GFX5200 card however if your budget doesnt allow for that then the 9200SE and 9600SE will be ok.

You should be ok to play COunterstrike and such... i just didnt want you to think you could, with the 9600se, run out and play, say, FarCry with high details at decent framerate or something :)

20. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Thanks alot Praetor you have cleared it all up for me!