1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Card!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 29, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Not a problem - glad i could help! :)

2. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Off the point but don't SiS make the sis630 etc, i thought that was SiS to blame for that...

Matey the card is cheap because the card is cheap, lol. I don't think you should expect too much. An improvement yes, but not able to run all games at max settings. Oh, max payne, then yeah that'll be fine, good luck.

3. Praetor

LOL well compared to the onboard chip he's running right now with 64MB shared a 64bit-memory video card is heaven i would imagine! :)

4. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

:) yeah improvement for sure. My ti4200 is showing it's age hardcore but i can't afford an improvement/upgrade, i'd get a 5900xt for $260 AUD if i were to buy a new vid card, but only cause i like my games. >:]

LoL i really should read the posts a little better, eh?

It sucks to be poor.

5. Praetor

It sucks even more to be poor, hang out with a girl and have tuition bitching at you :p

Which TI42 are you running, the old/original one? or the newer AGP8X one? I've been told the new one can be OCd (with the proper cooling) by quite a bit.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  6. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Got my Card Today! Put on the omega drivers on and am tyring to overclock it, what i wanna know is how do i know if its getting to hot? or what the limit is of the card

7. Praetor

1. Not all cards come with thermal monitors (in fact the only ones i am aware of that come with them are the nvidia gfx cards).
    2. As Ive been saying over and over again, OCing is a trial and error thing. Nobody can tell you exacly how much you can squeeze out if it

8. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

well i have done it a bit so i guess i wont take it anymore..so if its playing a game ok does that mean its ok? its got no fan?

9. Praetor

When a video card goes unstable you will start to notice artifacts in your graphics.... if you really push it all in one jump then you wont have video when you boot.

10. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

LOL i have the 64 meg 4x version (original) and the 128mb 8x agp, but it's starting to play up, had it overclocked quite a bit for a while, and the ambient temp here in mt isa can get pretty ridiculous...

Hanging out with chicks can never be a bad thing can it?
    And by artifacts that goes for little texture tears where walls join etc, you may not notice it at first so check hard, but once a game will start and there is tearing, just keep backing it off bit by bit till the artifacts are gone, like praetor said, completely trial and error.

Whilst on the topic of o/cing, did the celeron 300a ever receive an award for overclockability? Could get that sucker up to 550 easy, without any extra cooling.

11. Praetor

I wont complain ... my bank account did.

THe memory subsystem for video cards can be very heat sensitive and because of this, manufacturers naturally try over over-prepare the card for the amount of heat it will endure. YOu will prolly only notice artifacts after playing video games for an hour or two (graphically intensive games at that).

Since OCing isnt an industry supported activity, prolly not ;-P