1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by 3085, Jul 31, 2006.

1. 3085

3085 Regular member

I was wondering what a good graphics card was because I wanted to buy Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter and my computer passes everything except the graphics card because my computer came with a crappy one so what is a good one I could get that will support that game the minimum for that game is DirectX 9-compliant Shader 2.0 card with 128 MB of VRAM (NVIDIA GeForce 6/7 families and ATI Radeon 9600-9800/X families) thx.

2. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

It all depends on what you want to spend.G.R.A.W. is a game that will require a power gfx card.

It also depends on how big your monitor is and if your mobo supports pci express.Newegg.com is the best place to get one.Do not go to best buy or circuit city.

3. 3085

3085 Regular member

Im gonna get the game fear and it says you have to have Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset)and my monitor is 17 inches and I don't know ANYTHING about this so how can I tell if my mobo supports pci express?

4. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

The easiest way is to look up what type of mobo you have by taking the case off and checking it out then google it or go to the manufacturer's website.The agp,pci,and pci-e all look different.Sometimes like in my case it will even have them labeled "pci-e" or whatever.

Your monitor won't require a killer one.I have graw and am running a ati x800gt but I recommend something higher because mines getting old.I will also say that your power supply must have enough watts to run the card.

5. PCEXPERT

PCEXPERT Member

i would prefer xfx geforce 7950 gx2 m520 1gb gddr3 extreme edition (which i have)
    this really works great on my games

if you were in a budget but still want great performance
    i would reccomend bfg geforce fx 5950 ultra

6. 3085

3085 Regular member

Ok I found out that I have a PCI Express slot on my mobo and I was on this site that scans your computer to see if you can run games on your computer and all of my stuff passed except the graphics card and it had some it recommended and I was wondering if this card Albatron 6600LEQ Geforce 6600LE 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card (I found it here)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814170091&ATT=14-170-091&CMP=OTC-C173T is a good card and will it work with my computer and I found out my power supply is 230 W and the operating voltage is 90 to 135 V and 180 to 265 V at 50/60 Hz. is this a good enough power supply to run the card? THANKS! a lot

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  7. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

@PCEXPERT your first one is overkill and your second one is underkill.

It's a good deal for the money 3085.Ok I'll be honest with you 3085 That card is on it's way out.It's not going to run most of the newest games for much longer.Your power supply is also not enough unfortunately.I had the same problem I had to replace my power supply because it was 230w as well.I recommend 450w power supply.

A better one although more would be :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127213

It's sad but this is an expensive hobby a really good future proof setup would be ideally $250 that would include a gfx card and power supply.With that you could spend 200 on gfx and 50 on a power supply.But the one I linked to will play games fine as well.

8. 3085

3085 Regular member

I think I am going to get that card that you posted the link to in your last post that card will work in my computer right?? (I just wanna be sure) and where is a good place to get a power supply that works with my computer and that card. thx.

9. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Yes that will work on any pci-e mobo.My power supply I got from you guessed it newegg.This is the exact one I got but it seems to have gotten negative reviews as of late.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159053

You will need a power supply the is:

450w
    pci-e compatible
    serial ata compatible

You can just look for one around newegg in the powersupply section.

10. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

11. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  12. 3085

3085 Regular member

I don't know which card im going to get yet it depends on how much money I can get the rest of this week right now I only have enough for a power supply and a little left over after that and the reviews said that card is really loud so idk but are power supplies hard to hook up? I have never hoooked one of those up before. thx

p.s. I have a tv tuner card would I have to take that out to put in the card?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  13. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

They are in my own opinion it's the hardest thing to hook up.A power supply is a pain I won't lie.You will have to unplug your current psu(power supply)from all the hdd's,disc drives,An everything else.Then replace it with the new one and hook it all back up.I was so pissed when I found out my new pc only had 230w and that I would have to replace it because HP was to cheap.It's a bummer.

Your won't have to take out your tv tuner you may have to move in to a further pci slot but it will fit.The tuner go's in a regular pci slot not the pci-e slot.

14. 3085

3085 Regular member

Ok i got a step by step thing with pitcutre so I think I will be ok putting the power supply in but I am probably going to get that same one that you have does that one work good for you?

15. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Works great for me.I don't want to get blamed if something goes bad though lol.People usually sign up to say bad things about something unless they are really impressed.You may be able to find one with the same features for a little cheaper if your look around newegg.

16. 3085

3085 Regular member

lol I won't blame you if something goes bad now I just hope I get it all hooked up without ne problems lol but I'll prly be ordering the stuff on Friday or Saturday and when I get it all hooked up I'll let you know how it goes. thx

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  17. 3085

3085 Regular member

but I have one more real noobish question lol i was lookin in my computer and thats a picture of it down there and do you know if that card on the bottom is my video card I have right now I know the pic sucks so if you can't see it thats ok but I just have no clue cuz I need to know whichf one to take out after I uninstall the software for it but the one on top is my tv tuner card I know that much.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006