1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by FARLEYACE, Apr 1, 2007.

1. FARLEYACE

FARLEYACE Member

I need help getting a graphics card. I have a Dell E521 and I wanted to get either a 8800 GTX or a 8800 GTS, I'll probably get the cheaper one. But I wanted to make sure that it would fit in my computer. Will I be able to just plug it in and have it work, or is it really complicated to install a graphics card? And also I've been reading about it and all of these sites that review graphics cards say that you should buy two of them, but there is no way that I could afford that, would games still run fast if I just bought one?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. FARLEYACE

FARLEYACE Member

So it will fit if I buy one?

4. ddp

as long as it fits into a pci/e 16 slot than yes.

5. elokito

elokito Regular member

and ure gonna need a bigger power supply also

6. ddp

that works on a dell

7. FARLEYACE

FARLEYACE Member

How do I get a bigger power supply? And what would happen if I didn't?

8. elokito

elokito Regular member

if u didnt.. well either it wont turn on or it will turn on and crash on windows or simply crash when playing but belive me it will crash

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

It would crash or if it even started anyway be carefull when buying a new PSU for dell they tend to have (80%) their own special connectors etc.
    if you get the wrong one it will fry the Motherboards circutatory but if it is a cheap PSU you will be lucky it will short circuit faster and die meaning the power will go before it destroys the whole cpu but i doubt it wont so be carefull.
    as for the 8800series arent they dual slot cooling cards? meaning you need 2 slots.
    I might be wrong but i think it is?

10. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Not necessarily true. I just got a ATI X1950 512MB and it's a great card but very large. When I was installing it I had to remove the motherboards main power cable to get it to fit and then actually bend the card down slightly in order to replace the power cable so when you look at it now, the right hand side of the card is bent down where I had to wedge in the power cable. I'll tell you it was one of the scariest things I've done with a brand new card as I was worried it would snap. When buying a card they don't have measurements of the actual card so BE CAREFUL !

11. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

I know with the ATI's they call that "crossfire", which simply means two cards installed joined together to make an Uber-card so unless your planning on landing the Space Shuttle on your PC don't bother, just get one decent card.