1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics cards??? DDP or Moderator?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by beanboy07, Feb 3, 2005.

1. beanboy07

beanboy07 Guest

Here is the system in question!!

AMD 64 3700+
    ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
    CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
    Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
    Audigy 2 ZS
    2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
    Tt 480 watt PSU

I am experiencing graphics freeze while playing games. It freezes for approx. 10 seconds and then continues. I whole system doesn't freeze, just the display.That is evident by see where the player actually is after the display unfreezes the specific game doesn't matter and it happens frequently. If I update the driver or completely uninstall it and then reinstall it then it may work for a session but after closing the game out and perhaps even restarting the computer it may be back to trouble again.

Here is a thought, see what ya'll think of this?
    [red]
    I have 3 things sharing IRQ 19 at the current time. They are my Silicon Image Raid controller(which I'm using), My Audigy sound card and of course my [/red] [blue]6800GT.[/blue]

Is it possible that with heavy gaming and all three of these devices in high crank that this may be why I experience this freeze up? Is there a way to manually change my IRQ's so they are not all using the same IRQ?

I'm nearly out of options.
    Made sure my 6800 had a dedicated power rail.
    I have tried at least 5 different driver versions.
    I uninstalled DX and reinstalled(which was a major bitched)
    I also have shut down software such as the Firewall during play to ensure there is no software conflict going on.
    I've flashed the MB BIOS.
    I illiminated the SP2 conflict possibility by completely reformatting and installing a version of XP SP1a.

[red]In pretty much this order.[/red]

Am I missing something here? Can there be an explanation or a fix for this or perhaps is it just a bad Card?

***Throws hands high in air***

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't hold me to such high esteem as i'm still learning just like the rest on the forum. try & see if manually change in devices' properties but if no conflict showing could make it worse so record settings before changing settings. can you try card in a compareable system say a friends computer or even store(if bought from 1) to see if problem stays or follows card. try another psu if possible. what dx version are you using as possible problem(s) with 9.0c

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  3. beanboy07

beanboy07 Guest

I directed my problem to you or a mod because you seem to be pretty active in this forum and seem to know your shit. I'm not excluding anyone else that could be helpful, but kinda needed a quick answer. Anyways since this problem was of a friends I ended up bringing his vid card home. Ran benchmarks, played a little hl2,and a few other games for periods of time and no freezing at all. On his system he has dx 9.0c same as mine. We did how ever remove his sound card and that seemed to reassign IRQs. It took his sata raid hd and put it on 20, vid card still on 19 and sound card obviously gone before all were on the same ,19. Do you think windows assigning all those devices to the same IRQ would have a factor in it. I donot know what the hell but it did not make a difference with vid card prob. I think its a problem/conflict with new nforce 3 chipset and drivers?? Does any one have any input? Thanks.

4. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Have you tried putting the device on its own IRQ using the bios. To do this just open your BIOS at Boot and you should be able to find your IRQ settings. I had a problem similar to that way back when I had my Geforce 3 and I had to put it on its own IRQ. Maybe the card is defective?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2005
  5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

??? ... oh I see... there is a member by the name of DDP :p

Generally speaking, you're wasting ur money with RAID0.

Automatic clock throttling? Voltage issues?

Dont the recent driver revs require DirectX installed first? :)

Soundcards can be dum with IRQs sometimes using up to three.... try PCI3 ... most mobos tend to allocate the most IRQs (by default) to that slot :)

6. beanboy07

beanboy07 Guest

Well heres the deal. Like I said the card worked in my system flawlessly. My friend is convinced that its the mobo. Bad AGP slot,conflict with chipset drivers or what ever just something wrong with mobo. He's rma'ing back to newegg in place for a gigabyte K8VNXP with a Via chipset. What do you think?? Preator, just noticed that you and him have identical boards and vid cards. Have you read or heard or experienced any problems with this setup similar to the one he is having?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2005