1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics upgrade for DELL Inspiron 530

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Photomate, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Photomate

Photomate Member

Hi to all,

I would like to use Photoshop CS5 OpenGL on my Dell Inspiron 530 desktop computer running WIN7 64 bit, but Photoshop will not recognize my graphics set-up. I get the message
    I went to the INTEL site and have updated my drivers with the latest version they offer, but it wasn't enough.
    I am a newbie with only a minimum understanding of computers. I was told that my graphics are a part of the mother board. Is it possible to upgrade my computer with a more modern or updated graphics card? Is this something a newbie can reasonably do or is it so involved that it would be wise to pay a computer repair shop to install? I can't afford a large expense. Can anyone recommend an economical card that would fulfill my requirements and where I might purchase it? BestBuy, Internet?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance. Respectfully, PhotoMate

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. Photomate

Photomate Member

Hi ddp,

Thank you for the quick response and your willingness to help me. Please keep in mind that I am a Newbie Senior Citizen with limited computer expertise.

WOW, I have visited the DELL site many times since I purchased my computer but never discovered the site you sent me to. What valuable information. Many thanks, I am sure it will come in handy in the future.

As you requested I went to the Adobe site to find out what CS5 is looking for in a video card but it doesn't mean anything to me. I don't know what a PCI Express x16 videocard would be, perhaps it will mean more to you. Supported Video Cards: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html, and here is the Adobe site OpenGL requirement information: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html.

Thank you again for all your help and it is appreciated more than you know. Respectfully, PhotoMate

4. Photomate

Photomate Member

Hi ddp,

I forgot to answer the most important part. I need something less than $100.00, if not I will have to forget about OpenGL capabilities, and a preferable price would be much less if possible.
    Respectfully, PhotoMate

5. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Here are the graphics cards that Photoshop CS5 supports according to their websites.
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html?PID=2159997
    I have no idea where you live but maybe you can find one of these on sale that fits your budget. You should be able to find one for under $100 dollars that fits the requirements.Here is one card that compusa sells that is on sale right now.$50 with a rebate.http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4961945&sku=E145-9507

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. Photomate

Photomate Member

Hi JST1946,
    Thank you for the reply.
    I have already been to Adobe's site and seen the listed boards but the names and product numbers don't mean anything to me. My problem is according to ddp I need a PCI Express x16 videocard and how do I find out which of the cards Adobe listed is the type I need to comply with Adobe's OpenGL requirements? I Googled and found the card my DELL needs priced from $39 to $711. I will have to print out Adobe's list and try to match it up to what I find on Google. I live in Virginia, USA, but generally find better prices on the Internet. Thanks again for the input.
    Respectfully, PhotoMate

7. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

According to your board layout you have 4 different card slots.

One PCI Express x16 card slot (SLOT1)

One PCI Express x1 card slot (SLOT2)

Two PCI card slots (SLOT3, SLOT4)

So you can use a card that fits in any of the slots.
    The dell documentation shows you a picture of them and how to replace them in your computer.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go with the PCI Express x16 type videocard.

9. Photomate

Photomate Member

Thanks to all that took the time to reply.
    My own research has found additional problems in upgrading my computer. I Googled PCI Express x16 video card and found several that were well within my price range and appeared to meet the OpenGL requirements that Photoshop needs. On the DELL site the diagrams show only one of these slots on this computer and I do not know if it is currently available. I have a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM Combo card installed and I will have to find someone with more expertise than I have to find out if the board is using that slot. Without removing all of the connections and the case; when I look at the 4 slots on the back of the computer it is in the 3rd down from the top, if that means anything. Another concern is according to the DELL site the Core 2 Duo Processor has a 300W Power Supply but most of the replacement boards suggest it be 325W OR GREATER for proper operation and this would possibly mean an additional expense to upgrade the Power Supply Module. I also notice from the pictures of the boards that ventilation fans, etc. make them look quite thick and do I have the necessary clearance in my computer. Upgrading to OpenGL capabilities is getting to be a more involved than I ever realized, but I am learning a lot of things about my computer that I never knew.
    Thanks again to all. Respectfully, PhotoMate.

10. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

The 3rd slot down from the power supply is a PCI slot and also the 4th one below it.
    The 1st one on the top is the PCI Express x16

One PCI Express x16 card slot (SLOT1) Top slot below the Power supply.

One PCI Express x1 card slot (SLOT2)

Two PCI card slots (SLOT3, SLOT4)The last 2 slots on the bottom.

A 325 watt power supply is pretty cheap and you can probably get one with a higher wattage than that for almost the same price.
    You can probably get the card and PSU for $100 dollars or less.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  11. Photomate

Photomate Member

Hi JST1946,
    Thank you for the speedy reply. Two additional questions please.

1. Are all power supply modules the same or do I need a special type/kind for my DELL?

2. If I purchase one is it an operation that someone with my limited computer knowledge can SAFELY install?

Thanks again, Respectfully, PhotoMate

12. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

There are only four screws on the back of the case that hold the PSU in place.
    This diagram is what connectors are on your PSU but some of them aren't always used.
    You just need to match up the connectors with the ones on your PSU.It also explains how to replace the PSU in the link below.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s...s.htm#wp1512582

13. Photomate

Photomate Member

Hi to all,

I have decided to abandon the project after finding out that the modifications to my computer to use Photoshop CS5 OpenGL requires both a new video card and installing a new upgraded Power Supply unit. Since OpenGL will only add a minimum number of functions to Photoshop I can not justify the additional expense. Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer my questions, I really do appreciate your kindness. Respectfully, PhotoMate