1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green/Purple Horizontol Bars on HDTV/HD Channels (Help)

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by ayojoe, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ayojoe

ayojoe Member

Hey all, I just got back from the Comcast store with my HD-DVR box and I hooked it up on my brand-new Samsung 46" 1080p LCD-HDTV (Model LN46B640). I hooked up the box through component cables they gave me seeing as I don't have a DVI-HDMI cable to use for (if any) better HD channel output. Everything looks great at the moment but I have a problem.

I notice a horizontal green line stretching across my entire screen going up from the bottom and repeating, it's not that thin and it's not that thick, but it is significant. It only happens on certain HD Channels that I know of (I notice it significantly when watching HD hockey). Sometimes it's purple, and sometimes it's just a transparent, but horizontol viewable bar moving up the screen.

I've tried unplugging cables and moving straightening them, turning the box off, turning the TV off, messing with settings. While I have made it less noticeable, I can still notice it if I really try. The TV never did this by itself on regular cable, just on this HD Comcast box. I'm not sure what model this Motorola/Comcast HD box is but it has a smart card slot on the front right.

Is it because I'm using component cables on a 1080p HDTV and the HD Channels are 720p/1080i formatted? I just got this TV so I highly doubt it's a defect or problem with the set. Could it be a defective box or would I need to mess with more settings?

Any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it? Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time, please suggest anything.

2. redice

redice Regular member

well the next thing i would try is a new comcast box. you could also try some different component cables but i really think its the box.

3. ayojoe

ayojoe Member

Anything I could try? Could you or someone else help me edit the settings of the box?

4. X360PSP

X360PSP Member

so let me understand this better, You are trying to watch content that is streamed in hd through non hd component cables?

5. woodsclan

woodsclan Member

i seem to be having a simalar problem, the green lines only seem to appear on a black screen, and only on the EXT channels. i first noticed them when my boys were playing there new wii over Xmas, but then i noticed them when we was watching a dvd as well, mine is also a samsung 42in, am hoping this isn't the first signs that our tvs is about too pack in.