1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green steady light on motherboard and power supply

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xaznboitx, Mar 7, 2012.

1. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

When I upgraded the power supply the computer booted up fine.
    Few hrs later, came back... shut down computer and reinstall new rams and now computer will not turn on. I took out reinstalled the old power supply and still will not turn on. I reinstalled old ram without new rams, still will not turn on.

I checked for loss connector and still not working, no beeps, nothing...

Motherboard and the power supply has steady green light (No blinking just still green)

I own gt5014 and no fans turn on.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try clearing the cmos as have found that to work sometimes to kickstart a stubborn system.

3. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

can you get into bios if not try using 1 stick at a time some boards can be funny if ram isnt seated correct you also might want to updae your bios just in case your current dosent reconize it.

4. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

u also can do a simple test on psu with a paper clip if u google it

5. Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955 Member

Possibly a failed Motherboard.

6. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

fans turn on , computer power on... not sure if pc booted to windows 7 logo since monitor pins is broken...

but the lights in front of the computer not turning on

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

same with both psu's?

8. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

I return the new psu same day i posted this topic because i thought it was psu issue.

9. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

are you getting any beeps?

10. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

Nope and the ram is installed when i did the psu test

11. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

can u get into bios? if not it sounds like your board is caput maybe static from your body when installing ram. you may also try 1 stick of ram at a time

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  12. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

i have to find working plug for monitor since the pins is mess up at the moment

13. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

have you tried it on tv maybe

14. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

nope since my desktop doesn't have hdmi ports .... i have tv tuner but not sure where the plug for is at...

oh and the back fan not spinning just the one in the front is

15. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Maybe the back fan is bad and loading the system down if it is plugged into the board.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  16. Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955 Member

The motherboard appears to have an electrical short

How to troubleshoot a dead motherboard

First, check to be sure the power supply is switched to 120 V.

If it is, then do a minimum system configuration test. Turn off the ON/OFF switch on the PS back panel, and disconnect the cord. You don't want to work on the motherboard (MB) with standby power applied.

Disconnect all components from the motherboard (including floppy, CD, hard drive). Leave the power connector attached to the hard drive, as the power supply has a minimum load requirement (never run a switching supply without a load, unless it is designed to do so -- and few are). Remove the power connector from the MB, then reinsert it (potential for bad contact in control circuit). Remove the RAM, reinsert one stick (going for a minimal configuration). Remove all PCI boards and AGP. The motherboard should be able to turn on and beep an error code even without RAM and video. Plug the PS back in, turn on the back panel switch, and use your screwdriver to short the power button pins (ATX type of supply). Double check which pins are the power switch pins in the documentation, as front panel attachment point functions are usually not obvious, and are easily miswired since the connectors come off so easily during maintenance.

When you touch the pins, the CPU fan should instantly start turning, and shortly thereafter, the MB should beep an error code.

If not, check the mounting for the MB. Some cases use a U shaped rectangular snap in receptacle for MB mounting screws. These commonly become bent or twisted, and can short out nearby traces sometimes resulting in dead board symptoms. If the fan didn't start turning when expected, you probably want to repeat this minimum configuration test with the MB out of the box. Put it on an insulated surface (e.g. pink packing foam or cardboard), being careful about electrostatic discharge (ESD) (however, my bet is ESD damage that disables a motherboard is rare).

Although I haven't seen it, your MB may require the video card to be plugged in to turn on. I doubt this, though, as there is enough housekeeping to do before checking for the video card that the fan should have time to start to spin.

If it still isn't working, try the other memory stick, or remove all memory.

I had a "friend" with this symptom who had plugged in an IDE drive connector upside down, causing a direct short that made the PS shut down instantly (without harm to any components). Double check all connections before applying power!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  17. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

I think I got ESD because don't supposed to plug the white part where the fan goes and which I saw smoke then next day computer still works then few hrs later it stopped turning on. Not sure why it stopped now since in 2006 after 3 months of owning it, my desktop was burning up with smoke and the only thing that died was my speakers but the motherboard is fine.

So my guess no way to fix ESD?

I just want to get the files out of the hard drive and transfer it to my laptop hard drive.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  18. Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955 Member

Sorry, there's no cure for damage caused by ESD. Google it, if your not sure what it is. Sounds like you may of burned out a part of your motherboard. Did you try testing it, as instructed?

Here's a video to explain how to transfer files from a dead computer.

But, don't tell anyone, it's a guarded tech secret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Civ3nQM-mHQ

Nephilim

19. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

Smoke...... the most important thing in the world to computer components if the smoke escapes the components stop working

20. Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955 Member

LOL, that's always a good sign your not doing something correctly.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012