1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grim Fandango

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by ziggi_83, Jan 27, 2007.

1. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

Hi, i am currently having a problem with my recetnly purchased game. i have one of the latest dell pc's so my pc is not the problem.. my grim fandango keeps stuttering when there are videos, the gameplay plays perfectly but i need to find a way to be able to watch the videos without it game stuttering when they talk!
    Some PLEASE HELP ME!
    I NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME!!!

2. Foilpact

Foilpact Member

3. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

thanks but already tried it, i have a pentium 4 dell 4700
    anymore help would be welcome :)

4. metamuse

metamuse Member

how old is the game??... i play alot of old adventure game like Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Kings Quest... i think the Grim Fandango is also an adventure game from Lucas Arts... if it is fairly old you may need a DOS emulator for it to work properly such as DOSBOX... and if this is the problem(the games age) then it is your PC that is the problem... newer pcs simply cant run those old dos games without DOSbox....

5. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

hi, i have downloaded dosbox but idont know hot to use it, please help, thanks

6. metamuse

metamuse Member

the interface is quite similar to DOS itself... first launch the program, the screen will show Z:\, i think or somethink similar...
    for me i put all programs i want to to run in DOSbox in one file(c:/games) to make it easier.. so i type(i will write this in steps, only type what is in quotations):
    Step 1: "mount c c:/games"(or desired directory)
    Step 2: "c:" (press enter)(doing this moves you to the drive you just mounted)
    Step 3: "dir" (this will show you a list of directories/files under the currently mounted directory)
    Step 4: find your game(i will use monkey island as an example)
    "cd monkey"
    Step 5: find the executable file for your game (.exe) and type in the name
    "monkey" (press enter)

Basically if you are not familiar with DOS, DOSbox will most likely be somewhat challenging for you to learn, and if you are familiar with DOS then it should be a breeze and you should already know most of what i told you....

p.s. sometimes certain keys wont work depending on your keyboard config in this case you will need to consult a FAQs or manual on how to use the F1 command for key mapping, or you can try to figure it out, DOSbox is kinda screwy... if you need anymore help ill post a better walkthrough, just let me know....

7. FREELOWDR

FREELOWDR Member

I just so happen to have whipped this game out recently. Without too much research I happened upon this site: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171217 To sum up what the site explains, GF was made for slower pc's but there is a solution and that is to do what is in the posted guide. There were some minor things I did differently from the guide to get it working. First I put the files in C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim (notice that in the guide he says C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim Fandango, but mine was just Grim) Then I installed the game, followed by the patch (I mean the self extractor and not the loose update files like in the guide) I hope this helps. All I know is I have a pretty good pc and winxp and everything works great. This is one of the best adventure games ever. Enjoy