1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grub removal

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by 1deviant, Mar 29, 2010.

1. 1deviant

1deviant Member

I have been trying to remove the grub installer that comes with ubuntu. So far I have had no success. I can usually figure things out without asking for help but this time I am stumped...

Situation: I had ubuntu installed on a hard drive. I couldn't install windows on the machine so I used wine to emulate a windows system and try to run an install disc, didn't work. So I tried to uninstall ubuntu, doesn't work. Ended up pulling the disc out of the laptop and wiping the disc on another computer. So I stuffed the disc back into the laptop and the damn grub loader still up. I think the windows MBR has been replace with this crappy vs.

Anyway, can anyone help me from this point? I will check back in to see if I get any replies. Thanks in advance...

2. Schmick

Schmick Member

Grub will be overwritten by Windows if you reinstall it. Or if the drive is blank, set the boot order correctly and nothing will ever know that Grub is there at all.

If you really want to completely remove Grub and reset your MBR, get into a live CD of linux and enter something SIMILAR to the following. You'll need to replace /dev/sda with whatever it should be.
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  3. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

I have a hp computer, so I have the system restore disk they give you. I have loaded Linux on the computer because I wanted to try it out. I have stopped using it and wanted to remove it. I went into windows and deleted the partition there and forgot about GRUB. I turned the computer on and was greeted with “GRUB loading error: no such partition grub rescue>“ I have read a few times about reinstalling windows will this work with the restore disk from hp?

4. 1deviant

1deviant Member

I had to use partition magik to get rid of grub. Then I reloaded with a windows disc.
    And grub WAS NOT over written by windows.

Everything anyone has told me fails. People like to talk about stuff they know nothing of, or what should work in theory.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

If Windows can't reinstate the MBR then just use a linux live cd and fix the MBR/reformat or whatever that way, i do this all the time, it's a piece of cake with a live cd.

6. Schmick

Schmick Member

Sorry, but Windows DOES overwrite the MBR when you install it, it does not play with other operating systems nicely. This is the very reason that you should always install Windows first in a multi boot system. And I absolutely DO have experience with this. My instructions would have worked if followed correctly. Read the sig buddy, your problems aren't with the advice I provided.

7. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

*sigh*.. what a retard isn't it..

Edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst and ad the following:

title Windows
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1

or another way.. without letting that nasty spyware near anything valuable.. like your hardware or data.. http://mediakey.dk/~cc/howto-install-windows-xp-vista-on-xen/

what's so fekkin hard?? This must be posted over 20,000 times.. google hits 126,000 for "add windoze to grub" no formatting or installing needed.. jeez.. you can install doze to a different drive and it won't write to the mbr.. well.. it might on that drive, but clever people don't use the same drive for the operating system as they use for their valuable data do they?.. unless they run a proper stable production standard OS.. which means something they own, not something they are "allowed" to use at the whim of a monopolistic corporation for money..

please enjoy your retard operating system for dummies.. dummy. oo .. made just for you isn't it.. hahaha..

see ya soon shmick me old mate... cheers for the link ;)