1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

grub rescue (Solved)

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by bnwch4, Jul 8, 2010.

1. bnwch4

bnwch4 Member

Alright, so here's where I'm at. I tried to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7, and had actually succeeded. The thing was, I had 4 partitions and wanted 3, so I went back and booted the live CD of Ubuntu to access GParted. I did two things while there, I had unformatted space that wasn't being used so I unallocated it and created a larger third partition that would be shared between the two OS's. I then renamed the partition Ubuntu was installed to from being unnamed to "Ubuntu"
    I boot up my PC and it goes to the grub rescue mode.
    It looks like:

error: no such partition.
    grub rescue>

I'm not sure what I'm trying to do now, or how to do anything in grub.
    Any way I could boot to Windows, Ubuntu, or the Ubuntu live CD?
    How do I get a permanent fix on this?
    Sorry for being such a noob.
    I'm sure I'll laugh at this one day, but for now, I need some help.

2. Schmick

Schmick Member

Your grub is probably using the drive label to boot from. But Ubuntu uses Grub2, so the configuration is a dog's breakfast, so not sure what is different in that case.

If you were using the legacy grub, you could hit 'e' when the grub screen comes up and try to do a temporary modification to get it booting, and if it works make it permanent by going in and editing /boot/grub/menu.lst . But if you've got Grub2, I can't really help.

3. bnwch4

bnwch4 Member

Alright, so I figured it out.
    I wasn't sure how to boot from a disc at first till I googled it for my specific system.
    I booted the live CD of Ubuntu, repartitioned my hard drive, and reinstalled Ubuntu.
    All's well now.