1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE: CONVERT PAL TO NTSC

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by DVDBack23, Aug 11, 2005.

1. CableX

CableX Member

can anyone help me i dont know how to convert ps2 games PAL to NTSC
    can someone hepl me plz.

2. CableX

CableX Member

can anyone help me i dont know how to convert ps2 games PAL to NTSC
    can someone hepl me plz.

3. JakubC

JakubC Member

Hey all..I have been trying to encode a PAL CD from Poland and always come up with the following error...PLEASE HELP!!!!

"Access violaiton at at address 00565C94 in module divxtodvd.exe. Read of address 0A380000"

4. stopka

stopka Member

Just tried Sony Vegas. And it is awesome. Much much better than both Canopus Procoder and Vso divxtodvd. The quality is terrific. There is no noticable difference after I converted some files. With Canopus, the quality was excellent. However when the screen would move in action shots, there was be some blurriness.

I'm sold on Sony Vegas. I was wrong with Canopus, however I still like to use Canopus because it gives you all the bup., ifo files for direct burning using Nero. So I still use it a lot.

This is how I did it.

1. Rip files from DVD (get the dvd (vob) files to computer)
    Optional 2. Use vobmerge to merge vob files to one long files if necessary.(just open, put in files click merge)
    Optional3. Use mpeg2vcr to save file(s) as mpeg2
    4. Open Sony Vegas. Click File>Import Video. Find the mpeg2 or vob files. Drag to timeline(the area on top). Right click timeline. Go to switches, click Reduce Interlace Flicker.
    5.Convert

I then used Canopus Procoder to convert the mpeg2 to DVD(gave me all the needed dvd files, ifo, bup, etc...). Burned in Nero. Mint copy. No quality loss. Audio is in sync all the time. I finally have a good insight on this thing.

You could just use ifoedit to get the ifo, bup files, then burn to nero (or whatever burning program). But I'm too lazy/stupid to do that. So this worked for me. And I don't mind the wait.

Click here to know what I'm talking about. http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-64301.html

Also, I had a problem with Vegas not accepting some VOB files, so I just converted it as mpeg2 through mpeg2vcr, which is what vob files are anyway. And most importantly, there is absolutely no quality loss and vegas accepts the format with no problem.

Bad points, Takes a loooooooooong time to convert. But the quality is exellent.

5. silkwhite

silkwhite Member

I am trying to convert from PAL to NTSC. I selected the *.VOB files to convert into NTSC, the output folder, VIDEO_TS has only *.VOB files, it doesn't have " *.BUP, *.IFO ". And I am not able to burn *.VOB files, Nero says DVD-test fails. Can someone pls help me? Thanks

6. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

First, I am a newbie, thanks for your understanding...
    I found a site that shows in animation, how to convert PAL to NTSC in NEROVISION, in a very few easy steps. Also, since my Fr. DVD that I have ordered is in region 2 (though I do have a region free player)I can first rip the dvd in DVDShrink and then import the VOB files int o NERO....Now, what is wrong with this picture....if anything????

7. JakubC

JakubC Member

mwpfoto:

Where is this website showing how to convert PAL to NTSC in Nerovision??

8. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

I didn't inc it because I thought I read that you shouldn't link to other sights.
    well, here it is: www.teaching-tools.com/hosted/nero-pal-ntsc/tutorial.html
    Anybody tried this yet? My dvd will be here in a week...
    Also, in response to some other post I saw on another mess. board, therew is a DVD player lisdted that automatically converts PAL to NTSC: Philips DVP642 DivX-Certified Progressive-Scan DVD Player
    Avail on Amazon.com for $59. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How can i tell if MY DVD players (I have 4) will also convert PAL as nowhere in the manuals does it even say it is a NTSC player...only that it is region 1 (except my hacked multi-region player)

9. Lynnolium

Lynnolium Member

help

I have tried converting a pal movie to ntsc. Using DivxtoDVD2 v1.99.21. I think it worked but the outputfiles are weird. I started with the following files
    VIDEO_TS.BUP size 12K
    VIDEO_TS.IFO 12K
    VIDEO_TS.VOB 12K
    VTS_01_0.BUP 52K
    VTS_01_0.IFO 52K
    VTS_01_0.VOB 92M
    VTS_01_1.VOB 990M
    VTS_01_2.VOB 990M
    VTS_01_3.VOB 990M
    VTS_01_4.VOB 63M

I tried selecting all the VOB files for conversion but kept getting a floating point error so i deselected the VIDEO_TS.VOB and the files seemed to convert correctly. (higlighted all and clicked convert)
    what i ended up with is

the 3 VIDEO_TS files
    the 3 VTS_01_0 files
    but a pile of VTS_02_ ... files
    VTS_02_0.BUP size 62K
    VTS_02_0.IFO 62K
    VTS_02_1.VOB 990M
    VTS_02_2.VOB 990M
    VTS_02_3.VOB 990M
    VTS_02_4.VOB 990M
    VTS_02_5.VOB 519M
    THE SAME FOR 3,4 VOB Files. there is even a set of VTS_05 files that end with VTS_05_1.VOB size 80M

If some one could tell me where i went wrong I will try again. Thats how i learn. Try , try, try ,try again :)

10. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

In respose to my own previous post...

Yes, I now see that there are many PAL-NTSC code-free dvd players out there..and on Amazon as low as $26.00 for a Dawoo !!!!! BUT the company that sells thru Amazon, North Star Electronics (this and most other dvd players) has some real terrible feedbacks and issues, so I would rather spend $80-$100. for a player from a more reliable co.
    1. Since I haven't received my dvd yet, I have no way to test out the NEROVISION/DVDShrink combo way to rip and convert PAL region 2 dvds yet. Has anyone tried this out? What were the results??

2. About these dvd players with converters...are any of the low end ones any good? I will invest $100. or so to have the convinence, but I don't want to speand $$$ for the very few PAL dvds I might want to purchase...

11. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

Just another thought..again...
    I remember that NERO asks you automatically if you want to change the source decoding when you import a file. If it finds that the file is encoded in PAL and you have the options set to NTSC, then it asks you if you want the output to be in NTSC, or have it remain in PAL format.
    I wonder, since I have NERO as my automatic burning program linked to DVDShrink, if when I re-encode the PAL region 2 dvd to remove the region code, the macro, and reduce the VOBs to fit on a DVD4 disc, when it uses NERO to autromatically burn if it will prompt me to re=code in NTSC??
    If this will work, then it will be the simple way to do the conversion. What say anyone?

12. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Nero won't re-encode PAL video to NTSC. Software conversions from PAL to NTSC are do-able but in my experience aren't worth the time/effort when a simple hardware solution will give you want you want.

There are inexpensive DVD players like the CyberHome CH-DVD 300 player that will play and convert PAL DVD's to NTSC. These are low quality DVD players and probably have a life span of only 2 years or so.

That being said I've been using a CH-DVD 300 for a year and a half now and have been very happy with it. I use it for all my region 2 PAL DVD's and it generates a very decent image. You can buy the CyberHome CH-DVD 300 for around $35 at places like Best Buy . If it dies tomorrow I won't feel cheated. I'll just pick up another one! For the price you can't go wrong.

http://www.cyberhome.com/products.asp?Product=300&Page=downloads

If you want a higher quality unit that may last a few years longer try something like the Malata.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/hardwarereviews/malata-856.htm

If you really want to do a software conversion you'll need to convert the framerate from 25 fps to 29.97 fps (DGPulldown) and convert the video resolution from 720x576 to 720x480. I don't think it's worth the trouble, but here are some guides if you want to try it:

http://www.videohelp.com/convert#4;41

13. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

I appreciate the info.

But...why then does NERO ask me if i want to convert the PAL material to NTSC or leave it as PAL if it can't do the conversion???????

14. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

15. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I stand corrected, although I've never used it I think NeroVision 3, which comes with the newer version of Nero may actually convert PAL to NTSC. The standard Nero Burning software didn't do it. So, you're right, you may be able to convert it to NTSC with your Nero package.

Experiment with it if you like but I'd be very surprised if it did a good job. Usually the one-click software conversions like this give very sketchy results. The times I've done the software conversion I've demuxed the audio and video, then ran the video through DGPulldown to convert the framerate and then used TMPGEnc to re encode to 720x480. Even then, sometimes I got good results and sometimes not so good. In high action scenes you might notice some jumpiness in the video. Audio sync problems pop up occassionally too.

I still think you'd be better off with a standalone DVD player that handled both PAL and NTSC. They're not that expensive. I never spend the time doing PAL to NTSC conversions anymore. But give Nero a shot and if you're happy with the result thats all that matters.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  16. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

Well, I have only time to loose if I try NERO. I see that there are many dvd players that can do the conversion. They range from around $30. to around $140. for a low to mid end player. Not much of an investment, except that this is the first European dvd I've bought, as most of my other foreign purchases are from Asia where they use NTSC. I already have, beside cheap bedroom dvd players, a VHS/DVD Recorder combo, and a Pioneer region-free dvd player as my main units. I guess, since my Pioneer is 5 years old (but no probs) I could upgrade to a region-free progessive scan PAL to NTSC player and have it all in one....heck, i could prob get 1/2 of what I paid for the new player if I sold the Pioneer on Craigslist, as it was a $500. player when I bought it.
    Just one more Q. Some people have already posted links to a couple PAL to NYTSC r-free players. If I shop around for the fairly cheap one's (like the Dawoo) not considering the life-span (of a $30. player) but how do the PAL to NTSC converters differ in quality from player to player ??? Would playing a PAL disk on a cheap player be fairly true to the orginal, or what price or makers seem to be the cut-off for watchable quality??

17. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

Dear Moonrocks..
    Just re-checked the link you gave for the cyberhome dvd player. Nowhere does it mention that it is region-free (you said you play region 2 disks) is this the player you are using, or is this player a region 2 player (only) ????? Thanks

18. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Yes, I'm using the Cyberhome CH-DVD 300. It is region free. It plays any region as well as PAL and NTSC. Out of the box you will probably get an error the first time you try to play a region 2 DVD. There is a very simple hack you use with the remote to enable the all-region capabilities of this player.

As far as quality of playback I would rate it as very good. You won't notice any degradation of image when playing either PAL or NTSC DVD's. The only shortcoming of this player is the lifespan, which doesn't bother me given the price. My Cyberhome has been playing both NTSC region 1 and PAL region 2 DVD's for well over a year now and I'll buy another as soon as this one dies.

19. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

Ok...if I try to find one (the dvd player)..how do you hack it. And is it a one time hack, or do I have to do this every time turn it on, or change codes??
    Thanks

20. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

This is a one time hack. Turn the Cyberhome player on. Make sure there is no DVD in the DVD tray, close the tray and with the remote press menu, 1, 9.

A menu will appear, use the arrow keys to navigate down and enter region code 0.

From then on the Cyberhome CH-DVD 300 will be region free. Even after powering it off the Cyberhome won't need the hack again.