1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE: CONVERT PAL TO NTSC

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by DVDBack23, Aug 11, 2005.

1. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like an upsate though if anyone is trying to use the DVDShrink/NERO conversion method, as my DVd is delayed from Fr. and I won't expect it until late next week..
    Please post any results here...Thanks

2. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

how exactly is the quality with vso divx to dvd? I mean is it noticably bad? Also with procoder are we talking like 10+ hours? Because i'm using tmpgenc to convert stuff (not pal to ntsc) and its like friggen 11 hours on 2pass vbr. I have a p4 1.7ghz gateway, not the best but its ok.

3. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

GREAT NEWS EVERONE ON THIS THREAD!!!

I just got my Fr. PAL region 2 dvd. I used DVDShrink to disable region code and compress and used the automatic "burn with NEROVISION option....and it's PERFECT!!!! (I used the NERO PAL> NTSC guide to set video parameters to: NTSC, Progressive, Automatic quality, Fast single pass, and LPCM....
    It is perfect in every waqy, sharp, great collor, No ficker, or rolling..I guess my new DVD player goes back to C City!

4. aaxxell

aaxxell Member

Before...Sorry 4 the translate I use google bc Im a canadian girl fr!!!:)

This new method will allow you encoder your DivX in MPEG1 (VCD) or MPEG2 (SVCD) simpement and more surely without having to reprocess the sound with the precondition Moreover this method can also apply to the XviD files, and yet one all the same will use TMPGEnc here also but by associating it the VirtuaDub program

I promise you ::::HE NEVER COME OUT of sinc!!!!!

Once these two programs décompressé each one in a quite distinct file, you will have to install the "manager of waiter of frame", then go in the file of VirtualDub and double-click on AuxSetup.exe:

click on Install handler
    after other(windows) click ok
    and again...:)

and it is finished for the installation of VirtualDub. Now, thus let us make a small adjustment in TMPGEnc Start TMPGEnc while double-clicking on TMPGenc.exe and close the assistant on Option=>Préférences of environment then click on the mitre Plug-in VFAPI Faîtes a clic-right on Lecteur DirectShow Multimedia and click on High Proprieté
    Repeat this operation so necessary in order to obtain the same adjustments that on the image above Voila, it is finished for the installation and the adjustments, thus let us pass to the continuation...

CREATION OF the WAITER OF FRAME Launch VirtualDub.exe and open video DivX or XviD while going on video File=>Open slips by

once your video open on VirtualDub, first of all, go on File=>Information
    in order to know in how much frame a second (fps) your video was encodé, it is noted on the 1st line,
    note your result which is significant because it is him which will define Template later to be chosen with TMPGEnc then made File=>Start frame server
    to obtain this,
    there click just on Start (the name indicated does not have any importance)
    and now you will record a vdr file:

this file will be used to you to delude TMPGEnc and will thus allow you to create a file MPEG (VCD/SVCD or even DVD-Video) without any concern. Once the recorded file, you will obtain this window which you will place in a corner of your office without closing it...
    ... and that until the end of your encoding which will be done with TMPGEnc, therefore let us pass to the continuation.

The ENCODING the preceding stage you A can be appeared long but once accustomed, at the end of two or troix encodings for example, you will see that it will take only 2 minutes to you. Good the continuation, now go in the file of TMPGEnc, double-click on TMPGEnc.exe and close the assistant
    click on seach opposite Video Source

there, in Files of the type, put All the files(*. *) and select the vdr file which you have to create presently. And here is, TMPGEnc is deluded and all functions as with a true file AVI. If you wish it, you cannot choose a different repertory of exit for the final file while clicking on Parcourir opposite File Left (by defect it is the same repertory as the file charged) It but does not remain you any more to choose your Template
    and it is there that you will choose good Template according to the fps of your video raised with the whole beginning

The principal adjustments of your Template will apparaitront in the box in bottom Maintenant that Template was selectionné, you can, either to launch the encoding of continuation while clicking on Lancer in top on the left of TMPGEnc, or to refine the adjustments before launching the encoding while clicking on Paramètres and while going on the Expert mitre

The more there will be options notched and the more the duration of the encoding will be lengthened and very sincerely I do not know if the play is worth of it really the candle. Once your adjustments refined, to click on Lancer And here, it is finished, it does not remain you more that to arm you with patience bus according to the power of your PC, that can be more or less long but the result is guaranteed

And after that, it any more but does not remain you to engrave in VCD or SVCD or DVD

5. aaxxell

aaxxell Member

I forgot He work'S for DVD to!!!!:)

6. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

2nd update on PAL>NTSC

I made a 2nd dvd which is even better.

First I setup the video parameters in NEROVISION EXPRESS, BEFORE using DVDShrink (somehow, NERO doesn't let me convert straight from the DVDShrink VOB folder so I have to run them (the VOBs already on the HD) thru DVDShrink again.
    (However, this only takes a short time as DVDShrink has already done the analysis)
    I set up the NERO Video options to "NTSC" output, Automatic quality, "Progessive", and..in spite of the web tutorial, I used the 2 pass option.
    Now in DVDShrink, I opted to burn the main movie on one DVD and the "extras" on a 2nd DVD. This also improved th quality. (IF you have a DVD9 burner, and double-layer disk, you can burn one a single disk) So, first set up NERO, then use DVDShrink "backup" from either disk or files. (IF you have PAL VOB or AVI files NERO will automatically convert)
    The result was just about 1st gen DVD quality, with absolutly no rolling, flicker, or artifacts....
    All of those people who have posted very complicated ways to do the conversion, please try this method, nad you will be kicking yourself for not finding this out sooner!

7. hollafam

hollafam Member

so what if i have 3 parts to the movie will vso do all 3 at the same time

8. chowda22

chowda22 Member

Hey guys. For all of you looking to convert your movie files from PAL to NTSC, or vice versa, I came across a small, yet extremely useful little program a while back that works wonders most of the time.

I'm sure some have heard about it, and many more haven't, but if you're looking to convert PAL to NTSC, try using VOB Blanker. All you need to do is have the movie on your hard disk in the VIDEO_TS format, and load up your *.IFO in the input folder in Vob Blanker. Now, right click on every PAL-format entry that comes up in the top window, and set the standard to NTSC. Now all you gotta do is select an output folder, and you're ready to go. The whole process takes about 15 minutes or so for a standard 4.5gb dvd movie.

I actually discovered Vob Blanker in a different thread, so if you need to know more I'm sure there's more out there. You can download at: http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/

Hope this helps.

9. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

I am sure Video Blanker works, but assuming you already have the VOB files on the HD then NEROVISION will do the conversion on the fly and burn automatically. The process might take longer than 15 minutes, but it is also quick, simple and excellent quality and I am also inc the burn time.
    Of course, if you are ripping a dvd9 disk, and or region 2, then you have to use a program like DVDShrink anyway, and since it is linked to NERO, why bother using another program...IMO.

10. foofyter

foofyter Member

I used DivxToDVD to make a video_ts folder with the .vob files, but when I goto burn it onto a dvd, its way too big to fit. DivxToDVD is set for a dvd5 format, but I'm still getting extremely large files. How can I fix this issue?

11. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

Why don't you just use NERO? It converts most video files to dvd, and if the files are too big to fit on a dvd 4.7 disc, it will automatically ask you if you want to reduce the size to fit on a standard disk. albeit, the reduced resolution will mean some loss of quality, but I don't know of any software that can compress without some quality loss.
    another way is to have NERO convert the files to VOB and then instead of burning them, store on your HD and run it throught DVDShrink which will then compress the files. To keep max res. burn the main movie on one disc, and any extras you want on another disk. DVDShrink lets you do this, and re-author the whole dvd as well if you want. Hope this helps.

12. foofyter

foofyter Member

Well, I converted my first pal dvd to ntsc using DivxToDVD, and it came out horrible! The quality was vhs, and the picture was this small square that didnt even take up all of my tv screen. Does anyone know a way around this problem or is that just what I can expect from trying to do this process?
    Any success stories and solutions would be greatly appreciated!

13. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

Please read my other posts...The dvds I have burned using NEROVISION, and if necessary, DVDShrink made a copy that fit on a reg. dvd-r disc, and the quality was virtually identical to the original. Of course, if you are connverting non-VOB files like AVIs the quality can only be as good as the source.
    If you are trying to rip and burn a PAL dvd movie, please use the options I suggested. First, use DVDShrink to remove the region code, macro. Then set the NEROVISION video options as mentioned before. Let DVDShrink do all the work, and burn automatically with NEROVISON. If you want higher quality, burn onlt the main movie on one std. dvd-r, and the extras, if needed on a 2nd disk. I can't say enough about the sheer simplicity and quality of this method. The time is also only about an hr. or so for the conversion and burn of a movie, 3 hrs if you want all the extras.

14. foofyter

foofyter Member

the disc I have is only the movie and main menu, no extras. Its in PAL format. I have gotten a copy of nerovision, but how do I take the movie and basically duplicate it into ntsc format without making a new menu with nerovision? I have read the previous posts but I dont need to take out extras or anything like that.

15. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

16. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

www.teaching-tools.com/hosted/nero-pal-ntsc/tutorial.html

My last post screwed up...Disregard anything before "www."

17. Nosredneh

Nosredneh Member

stopka,
    I used Sony Vegas to convert a DVD. I located each file in .VOB format that held the main movie. I was not able or too impatient to just select the 1st .VOB. Anyway the process seemed to work with one exception. NO SOUND. This was a very quick conversion to AVI and the picture was good. But some portions were missing. I have not watched this PAL DVD version from start to finish yet. These parts may have been missing from the regular footage on this DVD. I found the missing parts elsewhere on the DVD so the missing parts may not be Vegas omissions. The main problem again was NO SOUND. Any Help?

18. DVDOCD

DVDOCD Member

mwpfoto:

When you say,
    "I used DVDShrink to disable region code and compress and used the automatic "burn with NEROVISION option....and it's PERFECT!!!!"

Does DVDShrink actually say "burn with NEROVISION" because when I attempt to do so, it only gives me the option to "burn with Nero" and then it uses Nero Burning ROM, and doesn't convert it.

I am using DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15, perhaps your version is different?
    (btw, yes I do have nerovision installed)
    thx

19. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

I am using the same (last) vers. of DVDShrink as you are. I don't know if it actually burns with NEROVISION or just NEROBURN as I have both packaged in my NERO SMART START software. However, what I do is st up the video parameters as described in the link I gave (under "more video options" in NEROVISION)... BEFORE I start the encoding process in DVDShrink. Also, to be on the safe side, I leave the NEROVISON window/program "open" when I start DVDShrink. It works perfect for me. Also. though whoever did the tutorial on PAL to NTSC using NEROVISON says to use "single pass", I have selected "2 pass/high quality" with even better results, and it still does the conversion.
    Make sure you setup the PAL to NTSC conversion in NEROVISON BEFORE staring DVDShrink, and leave NV open during the whole conversion/burn process///it should work, as I have a perfect quality Fr. dvd that is now NTSC, region "0" and fits on a 4.7 disk to prove it.

20. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

Oh, I just chect..my DVDShrink vers. is only 3.2 so you have a bit later version (??) My NEROVISION is 3.01.27 but the slight variations I can't believe could make a difference !!