1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide - DVD & Video 2 iPod (new)

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Jsbpfs

Jsbpfs Member

Lethal,
    Have you or anyone used a program for converting windows media center files onto an ipod? I heard of a turnkey program called mytvtogo. Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks,

2. Consumera

Consumera Member

Hey Lethal, I've been using videora with much success, and I've been trying out the different formats, yet I still get a problem with the sound/video sync as well as no video playback, and just sound.

On longer video's like about maybe 5-20 minutes long, the video pauses at about 31 seconds everytime, it like lags, and then once it starts again, there's no sound, so I have to use the center click wheel to go back, in which cause it'll play again normally for an unknown amount of time, and go back to the same problem. these are like mpeg 1/2 and avi.

On another video of the same length, the quality is poor and its a /wmv file, but on my pc the file plays fine, and its already 320x240 pixels. The problem is, this video has a completely unsynchronized video/sound. sound plays about 5-10 seconds later than video.

Also for you guys who have the widescreen problem, just use the last option on videora 16:9 widescreen its called MPEG-4/music video
    I usually use AVI-codec to check the format that the video is in and then use videora, but also sometimes its wrong, so open the file to make sure its in the 16:9 ratio or else the file will be distorted.

So lastly. I haven't used all of the options that videora has, but I was wondering if one of you guys already figured out which "one click profile" to use for what. I think it'd be quite helpful if we could compile a list of the most effective/most used ones and place it on the guide because there are problems with the set choice - "Mpeg-4/320x240/768kbps/...." thanks for your help in advance :)

3. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Some of your video playback problems on your iPod can probably be attributed to having a 60GB iPod with the latest firmware [1.1] I'd suggest downgrading to 1.0 whenever you get the chance. As far as the audio sync goes, I'm assuming this happens both with playback on your computer and with playback on your iPod. This happens for some users with certain conversion programs, I don't think there's a known cause but the fix seems to be trying something else!

As for your profile idea, it's a good one, the list should be compiled and then probably put somewhere useful [either in the guide or in it's own post]

4. Consumera

Consumera Member

The .WMV file with its sync problem is definitely a problem with the videora program because it is out of sync whether its on VLC player or the ipod. However, the pausing problem only occurs on the Ipod video, and I've converted it in the "Mpeg-4/320x240/768kbps/...." format, the set choice. all my videos over 4-5 minutes long experience this skipping, and as to downgrading the ipod firmware, how do I do this?
    And if I do this, will I have to remove all the files on my ipod?
    Thanks

5. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Downgrading your firmware Restores your iPod, so it erases everything on your iPod so you're going to want to have the files backed up [if they're in iTunes your set to go] You can use iPod Wizard to downgrade your firmware. As for your problem converting videos with the audio out of sync, I'd have to say your probably just out of luck with that video or Videora all together. I'd suggest trying a different program.

6. Consumera

Consumera Member

are u sure its a problem with the firmware? because I don't want to erase everything if I can find out a different way. and if firmware isn't the problem.. then I'll have wasted like so many hours. are u sure it isn't a problem with the converting? well probably not since it works in VLC

7. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

[bold]jsbpfs[/bold]

I have answered your question in the thread you posted on the topic. :)

[bold]Consumera[/bold]

My friend, I believe that the problem is the firmware. If you look through the threads in here or any of the Apple/mac forums, you will see that people have been having [bold]huge [/bold]problems with firmware version 1.1 in relation to video, most of which have been solved by downgrading. You don't have to erase all of your iPod's contents to downgrade though, so I seriously suggest trying that.

8. Consumera

Consumera Member

oh, okay thanks alot guys, sorry for the skepticism. and yea.. I was reading the posts but there were just so many, I didn't get very far cause I couldn't find one wiht a similar problem. Thanks guys for ur patience with these unending questions :)

9. Lethal_B

No problem.. You get used to it after a while :)

10. Consumera

Consumera Member

o I guess I'll ask another question while I'm at it :) so on videora, there's 2 different types of ways to transcode 16:9, which is better quality? the Mpeg-4/Music Video, or H264. /16:9....
    and I have some files that are 2.21:1, so my best bet is 16:9 rite?

11. Lethal_B

Consumera

Your question is a little confusing, but I think I catch the general swing :)

Your aspect ratio should be set on how you wish to view it. i.e, you should choose 16:9 if you wish to view your videos in widescreen format (note: this will 'squeeze' your videos into widescreen format rather than crop them). But if you wish to view your videos in full screen format, then you should opt of an aspect ratio of 4:3

:)

12. kecmpc

kecmpc Member

i am clueless on Videora...it seems like a really good application, and I want to get to know how to use it, so I would love it if someone could tell me how to use it. I cant figure out the setup part, and when my videos are 'transcoded' or whatever, they end up with the audio going regular speed, and the video going about 3 times 2 fast.

Dan

13. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Interesting problem indeed with the video going to fast. Very intersting. Have you changed any settings in Videora, and are you sure you ripped the DVD properly with [I'm assuming] DVD Decrypter?

And where is the 'setup' part breaking down for you, there isn't much to setup, but I'll run through the basics of it. You want to click the 'Convert' tab on the left, and then click 'Transcode new Video' find the video your looking for [the file you made with DVD Decrypter if your converting a DVD] and click open. Then you can rename the file if neccesary, and then go ahead and click start. The converted fil will be wherever your [bold]Output Videos to:[/bold] folder is set to [this is under the setup tab on the left].

Is your video actually faster [does it look fastfowarded] or is the audio just behind the video? If the audio is just fastfowarded then Videora isn't the converting program for you, you'll have to try something else.

My turn for a question, would you recommend setting the video to do 'two passes' I'm under the impression it makes the video look mildly better without making the file any bigger - just wondering if anyone could confirm before I spend a few hours checking it out.

14. Consumera

Consumera Member

o that wasn't my question, my first question was which format plays the 16:9 ratio better, the Mpeg or the H264 because there's two different options to convert those.

My second question is, if u have a video that is 2.21:1, then should u use *the better way answered in question one* ie, using the 16:9 aspect ratio to convert the 2.21? and I answered this second question, u should use the 16:9 widescreen conversion

15. skakidd

skakidd Member

hey ive got a problem im using pq dvd to encode my videos and that works great but i cant get i tunes to open the resulting .mp4 file however when i used river soft crazi video for ipod itunes would load that .mp4 but crazi video doesnt work and pq is much faster so how can i get itunes to load pq .mp4s? thank you very much.

16. Lethal_B

[bold]skakidd[/bold]

I have answered your question in the thread you started on the same topic. Please don't multipost ;-)

17. Denn

Denn Member

First off, wanna say the forum is very informational. I have a question - wondering if anybody has an answer...I have used a couple different dvd to ipod converters and transfered the resulting mp4 files to my 60gb ipod without a problem. However, the video files, now playing on my ipod, pause after about 20 to 30 seconds. They then resume after a couple moments but the sound does not start back up, and never comes back on. What is going on here?

18. Lethal_B

Denn, which iPod firmware version are you currently running?

19. Denn

Denn Member

I would assume the latest one since the ipod is only a few days old.

20. Denn

Denn Member