1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Guide*** - Make your V3 Razr work with Mobile phone tools (MPT)3.11 and Windows XP! (other phones too)

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by nswolter, Nov 10, 2005.

1. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

This guide looks like all the others I've seen until the end, which is the part that took me FOREVER to figure out....try not to laugh at me b/c of its simplicity!

1. Make sure your usb cable and usb port are 2.0, not 1.1 (this may take the most effort on your part other than downloading files)

2. If you have already tried this....START OVER! Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove MPT. Then go to Control Panel > Modems and Faxes and remove the Motorola modem(s) that you have installed

3. Install the correct Motorola Modem driver from here: http://www.free.cz/motorola/
    click on P2K_driver_2.3.zip, once it downloads, UNZIP it to any location on your hard drive

4. Turn on your phone, plug the cable into it, then plug the usb cable into the computer. The Found New Hardware wizard will start. Click No, not this time so windows does not search for the driver. Next. Click install driver from specific location. Next. click browse to point windows to the place you unzipped the files too (should be a folder named P2K). windows should say hardware installed correctly. Unplug the phone from the computer.

5. Next install the first mtp version. Download from same site. The file is mmpt_1.23c_EN.zip 09-Jul-2004 22:38 18M
    unzip the files to your hard drive. go to that folder and run setup.exe This will install the program. At the end UNCHECK the box to run the program. DON'T run v1.23

6. Go to same site, download mobilePhoneTools_2.2..> 17-May-2004 21:05 21M
    Unzip this to your hard drive (even thought it looks like it doesnt need unzipping. Run the setup.exe from that location.

7. Run MPT 2.21b, follow the directions to connect to your phone...it won't work. wait till the phone interface comes up and go to menu > setup > LIVE UPDATE follow the directions to check for updates...uncheck the box to go from 3.11 to 3.19, the 3.19 didnt download for me...if you wanna try it, be my guest.

8. Restart your computer like it says. [bold] Make sure your phone is unplugged and turned off![/bold] Start MPT 3.11. Click Ok for the default profile. It will give you an error screen. hit redetect. It will come to a screen to select usb, bluetooth, i think 1 other. [bold]Don't hit next, just plug in your phone...with it off! it shold go to the next screen and your phone should flash for second and your comp will ding the hardware found sound. You will see a running clock...turn on your phone. That should do it. The phone needs to be starting up for the program to make it work![/bold] I would start the program this way every time. If the phone gets disconnected, just restart it (the phone).

9. Changing MPT's skin and driver to your phone - Click Menu>Setup>General Setup>Communication tab>driver setup. Go through the wizard, select your Motorola USB driver, eventually you get to the place to select your phone. There are 3 categories. The V3 razr is a GSM phone. I'm doing this from memory so not all the clicks are probably exactly right...

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  2. arcanix

arcanix Active member

I needed only two steps when I got it work. Behold, here it is!

1. Install mpt
    2. Plug v3

That's it.

3. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

I struggled for quite some time, as have others...What version MPT do you have?

4. thefob

thefob Member

Please do us all a favour as this just helped me fix my problem. I know it works, and I know I need the previous setup files, I just couldn't find them. Anyways, my point is keep them on that site and make sure that the files are available to people. The links here to programs are mostly dead. Thanks by the way. :)

5. thefob

thefob Member

Also, everything seems so clear and all, but you know the part where it's supposed to detect it and make that noise, well mine doesn't detect it or make that noise. The reason being is because I already tried earlier when I first plugged it in. What do I do now?

6. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

I guess I'm not sure where you are stuck, what have you tried already? What problem are you having?

7. thefob

thefob Member

This is the thing. First I plugged in my phone not thinking that I needed to wait. When I plugged it in, the USB driver thing came up. In the end, I didn't install it right and now it says it is malfunctioning or has a malfunction.

Aside from the USB problem, the modem work confuses. However, I have done everything you've said and it looks to be the best solution. Also, www.free.cz/motorola/ was the best link and I downloaded the drivers from there. However, the problem that I am finally having is one, it says that the phone is not connected when the interface comes up for the program, so the V3 Phone. Also, I've tried it on both, and I wish I had read this at the beginning because it would've worked. The second one has more than V3, it has V3i and b and all that. The first one doesn't ha ve that, it just has V3.

Basically, it says phone not connected, initializing takes a while and it doesn't detect the phone at all.

nswolter, if it doesn't bug you, I can IM you or message you with my
    e-mail. But I also know you have a lot of things to do, thanks for being helpful.

I just got my phone by the way, and I'm really looking forward to fixing this piece of shiznit program. Otherwise, I'll go pay 30 dollars for it to some guy at Flea Market. But I am computer savvy so I don't know why I'm not getting this.

Peace

8. Jamzbond

Jamzbond Regular member

@thefob
    Here's what worked for me when I encountered the same problem. Do what you are presently doing ie connect the USB cable and run the software and you'll end up as you say. Now turn off your cell wait a few seconds then turn it back on, your computer will ID the phone and the MPT software should now allow you to also see it. It's annoying and everytime that I have to transfer data I have to do this. I have MBT version 3.11 and I use a USB cable. An easier solution is to get a USB blue tooth adapter for your computer if it doesn't already have bluetooth connectivity. Let me know if this works.

9. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

Another thing is getting the specific driver in MPT for the V3, people have said that this does not effect the connection, but at least it will look pretty like a V3. Now im doing this from memory so its probably not perfect: In MPT go to: Menu>Setup>General Setup hit the communication tab. hit change driver. choose your Motorola USB modem and go through the wizard and eventually you will be able to select the specific phone. The V3 is under GSM phones.

10. despair20

despair20 Member

the link to the website for the modem and the mpt dont work.. can u give it agen or somthin please?

11. despair20

despair20 Member

free.cz is in like norwegian or something.......?_?

12. Xaber

Xaber Member

umm...i dont mean to bother...but do any of you guy have AIM or anything to help me with this same problem 1 on 1?1 on 1 meaming directly help me......i would be very appreciative of it.

13. despair20

despair20 Member

i also need help with it 1 on 1 with aim

14. thefob

thefob Member

just to let all of you guys know, i had no luck whatsoever with this bs. I tried it on 4 different computers and no luck. What I did then is go to my Flea Market or go to some cheap cell phone store and find the bluetooth Dongle. Once you get that, it's SOOOO easy to setup and it works amazingly. Any pic you find on the internet can be uploaded and used as a wallpaper. Any .gif file that is animated can be your screensaver, and any audio file such as an mp3 song that you like, ie. Madonna - Hung Up, and upload it as a ringtone. Peace

15. Jamzbond

Jamzbond Regular member

Glad to know that my suggestion worked for you Thefob. I agree that using the USB cable and MPT is quite frustrating and even when I got it working fairly well it was still unreliable. Seriously folks, buy the USB bluetooth dongle if you can and that will save you from a really great headache.

16. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

Yes it appears that the website i suggested using is no longer working...sorry I look into it more when i have time.

17. ophAze

ophAze Member

heyyy nswolter.. plz let us know when you have an updated working site to the downloads from youre instructions.. thanks

18. poochkie4

poochkie4 Member

After many hours I have solved what seemed to be a similar problem to what you have described. I suspect this arises to those who are you using a generalize version of MTP and not a specific one that was shipped with the RAZR, though I may be wrong. The reason i suspect this will become evident as you go through the solution.

Solution:

1. Install MTP
    2. Plug in phone
    3. Install driver from inf directory using window's new hardware wizard
    4. Start MTP
    5. Turn off & on phone when MTP connection wizard appears

Most of the problem that i've read about succesfully got to this point, here is where I found a solution

6. If phone graphic which appears on screen does not look like a razr then
    7. clck on setup -> general setup
    8. click on the communications tab and go to change modem
    9. select your device and go through following steps until you reach the page which requires you to choose your phone model
    10. select motorola GSM and select Motorola V3
    11. click on next and finish
    12. your display should now look like a RAZR and in a few seconds it will connect.

If this solution works for you go and post it on another message board so the solution can spread quickly and save others the time we have wasted on this ridiculous problem.

19. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

This link appears to have the installer for MPT 3.23, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The MPT install also normally includes the p2k driver. just point the found new hardware wizard to the inf folder in the MPT program folder and windows should install the driver.

http://evanzhang.com/mpt323.exe

20. jaehomo

jaehomo Regular member

A couple of tips for XP.

If you tried and failed once, right click on My Computer and choose 'Manage'. From there go to the device manager>modems and delete the Motorola Phone entry. This removes the old driver so you can start again. I think that for me the XP supplied driver and the mPT driver were really the same and the issues are elsewhere though.

If (when) it fails to detect the phone, choose NO when it asks if you wish to try again and the generic phone image will appear. Then follow poochie's advice about adding via general setup. The driver for the Razr V3 was called 'V3' in my case.

Comments bout mPT:

The sync and all that works fine.

It's neat that the computer rings when the phone does.

Call/answer is odd. You can place or answer a call from your computer, but this doesn't play thru the computer speakers, nor can you turn on speakerphone, so what's the point exactly? Would be GREAT it it used the computer speakers/mic, but at least the ability to turn on speakerphone is required for this feature to be useful in my opinion.

Addressbook, you cannot set the CATEGORY value for an entry via this software (business, personal, VIPs, etc.)

You CAN use the backup/restore if you are really tricky. This feature just exports everything in the addy book to a semicolon delimited text file. You can then open this in excel, edit, then restore it back to the phone. Easier than goofing with the interface to me, but kinda cryptic.

Regards, BPM
    (thanks BugMeNot)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005