1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide on Copying Songs from iPod BACK to your computer

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Ok, This is a question that has been asked many times so I thought I would just clarify the ways you can move your songs [bold]back[/bold] to your computer from your iPod. You may want to do this for a variety of reasons, ie computer change, backup purposes etc~

Before you do anything, make sure automatic updating of the iTunes library is disabled. This is [bold]very important to ensure that you do not update your iPod automatically and lose the songs that are on there.[/bold]

[bold]To Turn off automatic updating ~[/bold]

Upon connecting your iPod to your PC, press & hold [bold]Shift[/bold] + [bold]Ctrl[/bold]. This will stop the iPod from auto synchronizing and your iPod will appear in the source list. [This process will take anything between 3 and 30 seconds depending on the performance of your PC.]

Then you can right click on the iPod icon in the [bold]Source Menu[/bold] and select [bold]iPod Options[/bold], then check the [bold]Manually manage songs and playlists[/bold] box. You can now manage your library without losing any songs on the iPod. :)

You are now ready To Begin ~

The first two things I will show you are softwares which are proven to work in easily managing the music on your iPod

1. [bold]Sharepod[/bold]
    -[bold]Free software[/bold]

Here's how you get started.

Firstly, Download sharepod here ~ http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Section=iPod+Programs&Page=SharePod#get_started

Then,

a) Hook Up your iPod to your pc via usb/firewire

b) The iPod drive appears in My Computer when you have the iPod plugged in to your PC.

c) Once you see the iPod's drive, copy the SharePod.exe onto it. Open the SharePod.exe and after a few seconds the main window will appear. If a window appears saying you need to download a file for SharePod to run, simply follow the instructions.

d) When the main window opens, it displays a list of playlists on your iPods. Double-click on a playlist to view its songs. You can either select songs or playlists to copy to your PC.

e) If you want to copy all songs on the iPod to your PC, select the playlist and hit the [bold]'Copy to PC'[/bold] button at the top of the screen. It will ask you where you want the music to go (eg. c:/music) and how you want the music to be formatted (eg Artist/Album/Song.mp3). Once you have set both of these hit the [/bold]Transfer[/bold] button and sharepod transfer your desired music to the location which you have selected.

f) From there, simply import your songs into iTunes in the usual manner of [bold]File [/bold]-> [bold]Import[/bold].

2. [bold]Copypod[/bold]
    -[bold]Free to try, $19.90 to buy[/bold]

This is an excellent program designed to help the n00bs in the iPod backup world.

It has a wonderful iTunes interface and is incredibly easy to use. I would highly recommend it. The only downside is that you only get a 14 day trial and after that you have to pay. But it is great if you only plan on backing up once.

A flash demo with screenshots which shows you how yo use it can be found here ~ http://www.copypod.net/demo.php

The Free trial download can be found here ~ http://www.copypod.net/download.php

3. [bold] The Traditional way of managing your music (Minus downloading any external software - for those who don't like downloading software)[/bold]

*Note, This Method only works with iPods with colour display..

Finally, I thought I would show you a basic, arguably more fiddly way in which to back up/transfer your music back to your pc.

a) Hook your iPod up to your PC once again.

b) Go to 'My computer' and locate your iPod drive.

c) Double click on your iPod drive and go to [bold]Tools[/bold]----->[bold]Folder options[/bold]... And you will be presented with a menu, like this one...

[bold]Picture 1[/bold]
    [​IMG]

d) Then click on the [bold]View[/bold] Tab and make sure you check the 'show hidden files & folders option'. ([bold]Picture 1[/bold])

e) Then, you double click [bold]iPod_Control[/bold], and double click [bold]Music[/bold]

-you will see a lot of folders labelled [bold]F00, F01, F02[/bold] etc. If you double click one of these folders, you will see that the 'Artist, Album' etc tags are all still intact.

f) Copy all of these folders 'F00, F01, F02....etc..' into a folder you would like to keep them on your computer

[bold]~This copying process can take a long time depending on the amount of music you have on your iPod~[/bold]

Once this is done, you can simply import as normal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[bold]Others To Try[/bold]

Mac OS and Windows compatible:

[bold]iPodRip[/bold] Free to try, $15 to buy
    iPodRip supports recovering your songs and playlists, playback of audio files and much more. iPodRip is compatible with Mac OS X 10.2 and later, and Windows XP and 2000. iPodRip is shareware and will run without limitation for 10 sessions before registration is required.
    homepage: http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip

[bold]PodUtil[/bold] Free to try, GBP 8 to buy
    PodUtil is a shareware utility for copying songs from your iPod to your computer. PodUtil is compatible with Mac OS X and 9.x, and Windows XP and 2000.
    homepage: http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/podutil.php

[bold]iPod Music Liberator[/bold] Free to try, $24.99 to buy
    The iPod Music Liberator is a full-featured music-management utility that allows you to copy music from your iPod to a Mac or PC. It supports Mac OS X and Windows XP, 2000, NT and 98.
    homepage: www.zeleksoftware.com/products.htm

[bold]iPod Access[/bold] Free to try, GBP 9.20 to buy
    iPod Access allows you to copy music from your iPod to a Mac or PC. It supports Mac OS X 10.1 or later and Windows XP or 2000.
    homepage: http://www.drewfindley.com/findleydesigns/ipodaccess/

[bold]Mac OS only:[/bold]

[bold]PodWorks[/bold] Free to try, $8 to buy
    PodWorks allows you to copy songs from any Mac iPod to any Mac running OS X 10.2 or later. A free trial version (30 day time limit, 250 song copy limit) is available.
    homepage: http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/

[bold]Windows PC only:[/bold]

[bold]Xplay[/bold] Free to try, $29.95 to buy
    XPlay provides a powerful Explorer-integrated drag-and-drop interface that makes transferring music to and from the iPod quick and simple. XPlay enables Windows users to use both Windows- and Mac-formatted iPods. XPlay requires Windows XP, 2000, ME or 98SE.
    homepage: http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/

[bold]iPod Agent[/bold] Free to try, $15 to buy
    iPod Agent is a utility for managing contacts, appointments, mail, notes, tasks, RSS feeds, weather and more. It is not a music manager but works alongside iTunes to enable you to transfer songs from your iPod to a PC. iPod Agent requires Windows XP, 2000, or 98 and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.
    homepage: http://www.ipodsoft.com/index.php?/software/ipodagent

~Any questions or queries, post and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

Enjoy!

~Lethal

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  2. Mike0503

Mike0503 Member

how do I get the music of my nano and put it on my ipod

3. Lethal_B

I don't quite follow ~ do you want to transfer from nano to pc or nano to seperate iPod?

Just follow the guide.. if you have a problem, then please be a little more specific and detailed ~ that helps me to help you bud :)

~Lethal

4. Mike0503

Mike0503 Member

I have a nano and I want the songs from it to my computer, I tried the non software aproach and it did not work. Is it different for the nano. Thanks Mike

5. Mike0503

Mike0503 Member

I plug the nano into the computer and it does not show up on my computer.

6. Lethal_B

7. Mike0503

Mike0503 Member

yes, I can use both my nano and my ipod 30gb

8. Adamz

Adamz Guest

Are there any programs for Mac users?

9. Lethal_B

There you go, a section has been added and some alternatives you could try for the mac are included

10. Chapster1

Chapster1 Guest

Leathal you seem to know what the fxxk your talking about so I need to ask this question DO YOU NEED TO USE ITUNES TO put music on your ipod? I do not own an Ipod (yet) and I need to know this before I buy one. I do not support p-aying for DL music on the internet... I am all about sharing music, for various reason but the point being that I will not buy an IPOD if I cannot use any of the 5300 songs I have DL'd on my puter already.
    Thanks

11. Lethal_B

-Chapster

you think I buy that DRM filled crap? ;)

Yep, you can put all your songs from your PC on there regardless of whether you got them through filesharing or not.

Providing they are in AAC or MP3 format. But I'm guessing they are mostly MP3's.

-Have fun :)

12. xxninaxx3

xxninaxx3 Member

wait sorry if i sound really really dumb, but what are the command and option keys? is this guide for windows or mac? or both? sorry a bit confused here. but im so scared that im going to erase all the songs of my ipod.

13. Lethal_B

Hey there.

Corrected. Sorry for the confusion. The guide is for PC users. The addition of the suggestions at the bottom are for Mac users, but obviously I cannot do a Mac guide as I have never really used one.

14. beezer89

beezer89 Member

after just reformatting my computer due to a virus, my iTunes tells me that my iPod is not defaulted to my computer. I have a 60gb and i don't want to risk losing my songs. I do have all me songs saved from the crash, but im not sure as to go about putting all my songs back onto it... i really dont want to lose anything off of it, and was wondering if there is a simple solution to what i need to do.

15. xxninaxx3

xxninaxx3 Member

thanks for clearing it up for me lethal!

16. Lethal_B

- No worries. Hope you take something away from the tutorial :)

17. Quikshot7

Quikshot7 Member

Lethal, I used Sharepod, and everything worked fine on my Nano. But afterwards I went back to pick 'Automatically Update blah blah' and then I click OK, and it doesn't say 'iPod update complete, OK to disconnect.' I assume that means I still have to manually eject. How can I make it so I don't have to manually eject it? Please help me out Lethal...Thanks...

18. Lethal_B

Just one question - did it automatically start updating? or did you manually start it?

19. Quikshot7

Quikshot7 Member

I imported the library then clicked Update iPod which of course didn't do anything since the iPod was the same as the library at that point.

BTW-AIM sn is Quikshot73 if you just want to IM me about it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  20. Quikshot7

Quikshot7 Member

LETHAL--you gonna answer me? lol