1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide on Copying Songs from iPod BACK to your computer

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 30, 2005.

1. SingingLu

SingingLu Guest

HELP!! I think I have the same sort of problem as Beezer, I just had a computer crash, but was able to transfer over my iTunes library. When I tried to connect my iPod, it wiped out most of my songs, saying (once authorized) I could only copy over songs that I purchased from iTunes. I had almost 900 songs that I loaded from CD's in my library on my last computer. Why won't it recognize those songs in my ipod? It just skips to the next song that will actually play. (I still have all songs in my library and they do play on my computer, just not in the ipod) UGH!

2. dalibor18

dalibor18 Guest

I tried with Sharepod
    but rearraged the 10% of my iTunes database which is
    a lot to correct.

Instead of nice sorted songs, albums and titles
    I got lots of f325 (whatever that is).

3. mikey4

mikey4 Member

so will this help me if i want to put music on my ipod from more than one computer without having it wiped everytime i try to update it from a different computer? if not, can you tell me how to do this or at least point me in the direction to a thread that can help me with this?
    thanks a bunch
    Mike

4. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

- mikey4

I am going to be updating this thread to about ten times the size soon, and I will take your problem into account. :)

So watch this space ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  5. Lethal_B

By the way, Quikshot7, i'll IM you soon and help you :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  6. rex2040

rex2040 Guest

Lethal_b

i have a new ipod 30gb video. again, another person had their computer crash and i lost all of my songs, i have posted a couple of threads, but no replys, when i try to use sharepod to copy songs back to computer, it says that it failed because it cant find the file on my ipod, now it gives some weird file name, like hzhl.mp3 instead of the album or artist or song title, how can i correct that? or is that what ipod does, is rename the files, i can get some songs to copy over, but not all of them, after about 9 songs, thats when it fails. please help, im going crazy

7. chuy01

chuy01 Member

great guide I used his last approach without software by just clicking show hidden items and it worked perfectly except i dont know why the songs have wierd names but i just wanted to be able to restore them later so it worked perfectly

8. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

I'm having trouble using the "traditional method" that you explain. I get to the files that are labeled F00, F01, F02, etc. but once I double click on one of them, I don't get the artist, title tags. I get a list of files each with a four letter name of scrambled letters. If I click on one of the files, it is a song from my ipod, but nothing is in order. How can I fix this?

9. chuy01

chuy01 Member

yes the names are messed up but if you go to itunes and add folder or file and add the messed upped songs most of the names get fixed

10. lilazn7

lilazn7 Member

I have found 'EphPod' to be quite helpful,

1. Plug in your ipod using the USB Cable.

2. Install and Run EphPod.

3. It will ask you what drive your iPod, iPod Mini, iPod Video etc.. is - for example, mine is F:/.

4. Select your drive, and then click on songs, where it says Playlists, Artists, Albums etc..

5. Click on one of your songs, then press CTRL + A, and then right click it, and choose Copy Songs to selected directory.

NOTE:
    Some of these songs cannot be played on a CD Player, since they are in .m4a format. This post was generally aimed at people trying to put songs unto another ipod. ( the .m4a format can be imported to iTunes.

Hope this helps,

lilazn

11. Lethal_B

Nice spot. I wanted to include Eph in my guide, but the site was down at the time I was writing it :)

12. sapper12B

sapper12B Member

OK, I am writing this on behalf of my wife and the continuation of our marriage. She is driving me nuts with this. I don't know much about the IPOD, but I know enough to ask a question bout her problem. She is trying to back up her IPOD to the PC. When she does this, the names of the songs and artist, are just files. As mentioned in a previous post, a few before this. Now, she has no trouble getting the songs from the Ipod to the PC, but the files seem to be corrupt. So two questions? Does Apple do this on purpose? What software should I use to resolve it? There have been many mentioned. Thanks to anyone who can help me!

13. Lethal_B

1. yes, the b*****ds over at Apple do this as a form of copy protection.

2. purchase the full version of Anapod for your wife, it's the safest and most consistent way of getting songs from your iPod o your PC.

14. lilazn7

lilazn7 Member

As i said...

I would reccomend EphPod, because I find its the cheapest (its free) and best program.. since it keeps all the Artist data, album data etc... but the bad thing is, you have to rate them all again.. (hours and hours of work!!!! (for me lolz ) ) but its not that bad :D

If you extract them to a folder on your hard drive.. Go into itunes and select Add files from folder, select that folder, and since they are in .mpe, .aac, or .m4a format, they are all compatible with iTunes. YaY!.

So yeah.. I feel this is the easiest way.

Hope this helps you!

lilazn

EDIT: rex2040 - You can use EphPod to put it on your iPod.. but doesn't the iTunes disc come with your iPod?? It came with mine.. It's only 37MB off the website.. You don't have to sign up or anything.. Just put your email.. and just untick the boxes to recieve emails, and you'll download it..

Hope that clears things up

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  15. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Lethal, You seem to be the man in this topic, so I'll give you a shot. I am using Sharepod, and from what I've read you can transfer up to 500 songs at one time. I get to about song 250 using drag and dropping multiple files through explorer window and then I get Run Time error '6' Overflow. I copied 200 songs after this and then saved them to my IPO with success. But when I re-open Sharepod, to continue, after about 3 songs, I get the overflow error again. Do I have to transfer the songs off of the Ipod into Itunes to transfer additional songs to my Ipod? I was under the impression that Sharepod could function as an mp3 manager without using Itunes?

16. lilazn7

lilazn7 Member

EphPod can replace iTunes.. :D

What is so hard about downloading iTunes!!

Just use EphPod for uploading songs back to your computer, and iTunes for playing it and putting it unto your iPod.. You can use EphPod for putting it onto your iPod.. but eh, who really cares..

17. Lethal_B

As I say, have used EphPod Before, but their site was down whilst I was writing this; so I will add it later on once I get home..

18. lilazn7

lilazn7 Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding..

I was telling 'DarkManX' what my reccomendation would be, in uploading songs..

Hope this clears things up =)

lilazn

19. emma321

emma321 Member

hey i was just wandering..when i plug my iPod to my comp. it starts to update but not from my librbary...it updates with all the stuff in there. Does anyone know how to copy all the songs in my iPod list to my library list?

20. netaholic

netaholic Member

me personaly i dont like the itune libary list updater its to much work when all u can do is drag wha u want from a file to your ipod list. and by the way that sharepod is tight i had lost all my music on my external hard drive,but lucky i had put some on my ipod video. so i got sharepod and i got some back on my pc and i feel better now. thanks again.