1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide on Copying Songs from iPod BACK to your computer

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

is CopyTrans freeware or pay?

and if you transfer from I-Pod to your PC will the files load on another I-Pod

2. libbo2003

libbo2003 Regular member

hi I have copied my music from my nano back to my pc,but can only seem to copy each tune back to itunes one at a time.How do I copy all my music back to itunes in one hit?
    thx

3. david94

david94 Regular member

ye if ur using pc then use idump.
    its free and you can back up your songs all at once.
    you can also backup your movies, tv shows, audiobooks and the rest but not games

4. msgrnt92

msgrnt92 Member

So I sucessfully copied all of my iPod's music into my computer, but now I can't find a way to play any of the songs , besides selecting them one at a time and then clicking '' play with Itunes". when i select more than one song, or a folder, the only option is ''play with Windows Media Player''. But I want to play it with Itunes :(
    Do you know of any way to fix this?

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I've found that the freeware just doesn't do the job. I used a program called I-Pod Copy Expert and it works great, heres the link

http://www.ipod-computer.com/

its 20.00 dollars but worth it .

Copy music and videos from iPod to any folder on your PC.
    Transfer music and playlists back to your iTunes Library.
    Easy to use, simply select music and click "Copy to computer" button.
    Automatically detect your iPod.
    Simply read data from your iPod and risk free.
    Quickly find whatever music for copying by Artist, Album and Playlist.

6. pmoney000

pmoney000 Member

or you could open task manager, close ipodupdater and itunes helper, and anything that has to do with itunes/ipod ect. then go to my computer, select the drive and extract songs....

7. citizen14

citizen14 Guest

I'm to dam lazy to read all that crap up there but I saw money in there somewheres so I just use Ephpod. It workd and its freeware. enjoi ô_ô

8. pecavuk2

pecavuk2 Member

Dude,thanks much!! I was having trouble with my Shuffle involving iTunes,SharePod rocks!!

Thanks a lot!

9. Chingmy

Chingmy Guest

removed by loco

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  10. jez123

jez123 Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  11. JJdon39

JJdon39 Member

I like CopyPod! Now it's called CopyTrans and this thing is just terrific! It helped me recover over 6000 iPod songs and videos after my pc crashed! This is definitely my favorite app! Five stars!

12. Renny_Pen

Renny_Pen Member

HELP

I followed the instructions in this post. I downloaded Sharepod. I held shift control down when attaching the ipod. Something popped and my computer will not boot up. Not at all. It turns on but there is nothing.

I have turned it on and off multiple times. I have unplugged everything but the monitor the keyboard and the mouse. Still Nothing.

Any suggestions for recovering my computer. I have Windows XP. The XP disk will not boot up. I don't have another rescue disk that I know of. I have a backup drive but I can't get that far.

I need the computer to be working ASAP. I am writing this from an old laptop.

THANKS for any help.

13. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

unplug the I-Pod from the PC and the PC should boot up fine

14. Renny_Pen

Renny_Pen Member

I did unplug the ipod. Then I did all the turning on and off. I tried plugging it in again and nothing worked. Doesn't work with the ipod doesn't work without the ipod. I am quite upset.

Now I am giving the computer time to "rest" I have it turned off (actually no power) in the hope that it will fix itself. When the power is on the red and green lights both seem to be on but not very bightly.

I hope the computer is not dead. I looked at the inside of the computer and nothing looked strange but I think something popped when I attached the ipod. The ipod had no power (I am charging it now). Perhaps it was drawing too much from the computer?

Any other suggestions please.

I am grateful for any suggestions even ones tha don't work out.

15. Renny_Pen

Renny_Pen Member

No luck. The pc is not connecting with the monitor or the keyboard.

I am upset and somewhat angry at getting advice from this site that went so badly wrong.

Can anyone help?

16. cammi

cammi Member

Hi. I am also having problems with locating the 'IPOD Drive'. What does it look like (icon), what would the wording be?

My conputer had to be restored due to a virus :(

thanks!!

17. JJdon39

JJdon39 Member

ok, if your computer had to be restored, you just need to redownload iTunes from: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and install it on your PC. Once you have done this, you can copy all your ipod music back to itunes with an app called copytrans. people have mentionned it before. you select what you want it to import (songs, videos, playlists, counts, etc), then you hit the backup to itunes button and that's all! you have your itunes music library freshly rebuild.

18. dan0661

dan0661 Member

Hey, Thanks for the help. I just transferred my songs from my iPod to PC the "Traditional Way". I then copied them to iTunes. Do I now have two files of each song on my PC? One in the transfer file and one in iTunes? Can I delete the transferred files or will this also delete the files from iTunes?

I have used a photo program that makes all pics on the PC available in one place but does not actually contain the files so when I deleted the original files, I lost all my pics. I don't want to loose the songs.

iPod to PC the Traditional Way wasn't too bad to do. I think it took longer to hunt through iTunes to remove duplicates than the transfer took.

Thanks
    Dan

19. david94

david94 Regular member

it depends on if u have the option set in itunes to copy songs to the itunes folder where it stores a copy of the file u imported.if you go to edit then preferences, then on advanced and see if the box is checked for "copy files to itunes music library when adding to library".
    if it is then it has copies the songs to the folder (check where the itunes music folder is) and see if the songs are there.if the box is not checked then it hasnt copied the songs to the folder.

20. dan0661

dan0661 Member

Thanks for the reply. I went to the advanced section and checked the box,to copy. Is there some thing I need to do so that it will copy what is already moved into my iTunes? I'm not sure where to look for the iTunes folder. Thanks for that info. Another ? While looking thru iTunes , I found a place to click on to display duplicates (not sure where that is now). I clicked on it then started deleting the duplicates. Some of the songs then came up with a ! at the front of the song line. Now I can't play those songs because the file could not be found. Any advice on that? Thanks again.
    Dan