1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitar Discussion!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by pepsimaxx, Feb 14, 2007.

1. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'd say replace the bridge with a floyd rose, just to keep it from de-tuning every time you use the whammy bar, and as long as you are pleased with the sound, keeping the stock pickups is a-ok.
    As for the snapped string, hope you didn't get hurt by it, last time i snapped my E string, it nipped one of my fingers...
    Never knew a ΒΌ inch cut could bleed so heavily :-S

2. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

wow, yeah, ive cut my hand with the B string.. it did bleed too. Acoustic though.

3. webe123

webe123 Guest

Here is my setup that I play at my church:

My amp (Line 6 Vetta 2 Modeling amp)

[​IMG]
    and the large floorboard to go with the amp:
    [​IMG]

My guitars onstage from left to right:
    Paul Reed Smith Mcarty Soapbar, Fender 57 re-issue stratocaster, Brian Moore 81.13 (that I use exclusively as a MIDI guitar),Taylor 312 CE

[​IMG]

I use a Roland GR-33 MIDI guitar floorboard for my MIDI guitar sounds: (the wah in the picture was a jim dunlop crybaby....but I don't have it anymore...now I use a Vox V847 wah)

[​IMG]

I also use a Boss AD3 for my accoustic sounds that I have hooked up to the taylor. Other than Cords and stands...that is pretty much my entire setup at church.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2007
  4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Dude, such a nice set of guitars, yet you use an emulation amp ?
    For shame...
    Tube amps and originals FTW !
    On a side, note, since i'm going to the U.S. tomorrow, i might pick up that Gibson i mentioned in the "what do you want for christmas" thread : Gibson Les Paul Premium Heritage Cherry Sunburst

5. webe123

webe123 Guest

You apparently know nothing of the vetta II or what it can do! Have you even TRIED one or are you just spewing crap you know nothing about? It is the cream of the crop in amps as far as modeling goes! And it does the trick for me. Why?

Because I play in a church, not a bar and therefore I HAVE to have a SEPERATE volume control for the stage volume and the signal that is sent out to the PA. In a traditional amp, if I turn up the volume on my amp, it ALSO affects the signal sent to the PA if the amp is miced. On the vetta the signal is seperated, so I can crank my amp onstage as loud as I want without it affecting how the PA signal is comming through.

You sound like a tube amp snob.

There is nothing shameful at all about the stuff I own. For your information, I could have had a marshall half stack all tube if I would have wanted one, but I don't NEED it! I need an amp that I can call up several high quality effects and amps at the touch of a button and the vetta does exactly that. The vetta alone cost $1,600.00 not to mention the floor pedal that went for $450.00 more!

So the amp is not a low end amp at all. Call it what you will, but don't judge it until you can take the time to play through one. Don't believe HYPE, play one yourself.

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

For someone who plays in a CHURCH BAND, you seem awfully touchy.
    Consider your post reported for insulting me.
    And for the record, stating an opinion, as i did, is a freedom much cherished here.
    Not to mention i never said it was low end equipment, but apparently you can read all that out of my 2 lines of text...

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

It's the same as anything else; when you start talking about quality material, it becomes more a matter of personal taste more than what is better than what. Years ago, the only two big brand name guitars were Fender and Gibson (Gretch was a distant third). People would almost come to blows over which was better...gibson or fender. Gibson had double coil PAFs, fender didn't. Fender could phase, gibson couldn't. Gibson had a glued on neck as opposed to fender's bolted neck so it had greater sustain. Fender had double sized frets and a thinner neck which made for better action. It went on and on yet both were outstanding instruments and it all was a matter of personal preference.

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Ah, someone who actually got the picture, thanks gerry, i needed that.

9. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

He insulted you? Hmmmm.....

I happen to play a solid state amp and I have for 20 years. I think his set-up is perfect for his situation. I now play mostly Country Rock music and my Fender Solid State goes beautiful with my Fender Strat and Fatstrat. My Boss Od/DS and Ibanez Tube Screamer sounds fresh and clean. Add a little Chorus....mmmmmmmmm!!!

Just calm down and take your pill...you deserved it..

Strat

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'd consider that an insult if I were the one in questions.

And btw, if that "sit down and take you pill" comment was @ The_Fiend, then you'd better start running, cos he won't take kindly to that at all!

Seeing as I'm in a particularly wonderful mood, i'll report the both of you, just for Dan.

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LMAO! Here comes Dan with his meat cleaver!

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Nope, not till the morning Gerry. If you haven't seen his post in the bitch thread, then I'll explain. He's off to a funeral in the states following the virginia tech shootings..

Not a great time to p!ss Dan off guys 'n gals.

13. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'm not gone yet, plane won't leave for another 4 hours...
    but thanks for explaining that Jack, now i can go straight to the business at hand...

@ fatstrat : Again, you prefer solidstate or emulation, that's YOUR CHOICE.
    I prefer tube amps, and that's my right, and all i did was state MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE.
    I didn't say anything insulting, didn't state emulation was crap, nothing of that level, all i said was "for shame".
    Being called a snob however, and someone saying i spew out crap in my book sure goes under insults.
    Same as your comment that i should "calm down and take a pill" and that i "deserved it".

Both of you can bet this isn't the last you've heard about this...
    As a matter of fact, you CAN COUNT ON IT.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

webe123 and fatstrat,

You fellas need to chill out. Fiend was just stating an opinion without name calling or insults so there was no cause to get bent out of shape and defensive.

Everyone needs to get back on topic before I have to get biblical on someone!

15. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

*edited*
    Decided to stay away

Strat

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Neph said:

LOL! I never heard that expression before; I'll have to remember that!

17. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

To get back on subject: if anyone likes to modify instruments, old "Hagstroms" have the nicest necks I've ever seen but the electronics suck. If you like modifying, you can get an old Hagstrom III for peanuts and modify it into a guitar that's just awesome. Next time you're in a musical instrument store, check them out if they have one ... stay away from the swedes but the old Hagstrom II and III is awesome with a little work and you can usually find them with the $100 junk models.

18. webe123

webe123 Guest

So because I am in a church band, I cannot set you straight about something you know nothing about, but go spouting off what you think you know? And insult ME in the process? Give me a break!

Also, consider YOUR post reported for being offensive to ME!

You want to come on here and say you don't like something fine... but at least have the decency to act like the person you are replying to ALSO has a right to the choice he or she makes!

I could care less what you do or don't like! I did not buy it for you. And apparently you know very little about modeling, so the point is moot.

To say it is a "shame" to own the equipment I do is stupid! Period. I'll stand by what I said.

19. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

Someone here obviously needs a sense of humor...
    Let me explain what i mean with a bit more depth, before i step on any toes here :
    Knowing The_Fiend quite well, i think you are reading way too much into those two short sentences.
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as is he to his.
    However, reacting so sharply to someone jokingly referring to your choice of amps as being a shame, i feel is a bit too much.
    I also feel that calling him names just because he prefers the sound of a tube amp to a solidstate amp or a modelling amp is strange, after all, it's just someone's opinion, nowhere did he state that you are wrong, and he is right.
    Sure, he didn't exactly put it in the most common of ways, i'll give you that, but surely you are mature enough to be able to take a bit of a critical jab from a 24 year old computer nerd with an interest in guitars and amps ?
    Again, i think this entire thing is just two folks over-reacting, and here i am jumping in here to try and calm both of you down.

Now let's just hope it works.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Please lets not do this guys. Regardless of fault, rest assured they'll close this thread if it gets nasty and it's a neat thread. You can both stand by what you said; I've done so many times but if this thread is closed, we all pay the price. Thanks guys.