1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitar Discussion!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by pepsimaxx, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Listen to Gerry fellas. He's a wise, wise man! :)

2. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

damn fellas, calm the hell down, i never saw ANY of those posts offensive, so seriously, calm down before me and neph bolt you both to a chair.

I opened this thread to brag about your guitar / show pics and compare, not to get belittled about what kind of equipment you use.. seriously, calm down. If this becomes a problem, ill get Neph to close this badboy.

(See my threat? hehe)

3. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

You must just Play you guitar we all have different reasons for our sound it dose not matter if you play metal,country,or for the Lord,or whatever just play ! I've been playing for 45 years or more I've jamed with all kinds of players from rock to whatever you can always learn something from different people they can always play something you can't. I'm a ole Hippie and our motto was you don't have a closed mind. Not everybody is the same, they don't sound the same,they don't play the same,they don't set up their guitar the same, just take it all in and learn! No one knows it all.If you are a guitar player you don't make the Rules, with guitars you break the rules.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I'm an old hippie myself and played with a lot of players also. Some would have been damned good too if only they'd had a little self discipline. Everybody always wanted to be front and center which makes for nothing but noise. I teach classical piano so I trained with a lot of discipline and it was frustrating to play with people who had none. Like anything involving more than one person, music of any kind is a team sport.

5. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

hmm... my guitar almost looks like a Parker p30... hmm... im trying to find some people to play with, a cousin of mine plays, as does a friend..so i think im going to start playing with them...should be fun ^.^

6. brainstrm

brainstrm Member

Thanks for the mention earlier 8 ) If you visit my page at my.afterdawn I have a lot of info on my gear - but while we're here -

I mostly play Dean guitars live . The Dime Razorbacks are my favorites but I also play a Black-Gold Z , 79ML , 1991 Cadillac , and an ML bass .

I also have a really nice Neal Moser MCS "Spawn" which is a neck-through guitar , an extreme design similar to the guitars he did with BC Rich .

Most of my other (non-Dean) guitars are heavily modified to my specs ( and to the horror of purists that don't get the "upgrade" concept ! ) To quote myself :

Bottom line , my guitars are power tools , not collectibles . The sound , function and playability are much more of a priority to me than someone else's perceived "value" of them in their unaltered state . I don't treat them like the stock market , watching the collector's resale price on Ebay , waiting for the right moment to gouge a profit . It's not "vintage" , it's "used" !

I am very demanding of my guitars in terms of the action , playability , tonal versatility , etc . Microphonic squeal is almost always a problem with stock pickups (for me anyway) so I usually use a Bill Lawrence L500XL for the bridge , and a Dimarzio Super 3 or Super distortion at the neck . Those pickups let me play with a lot of gain at high volume without unwanted feedback .

For strings , SIT .008 Always ! ( well , not for bass of course , then it's SIT .040-.095 ) SIT's with the Floyd Rose setup give me very stable tuning - I can get away with pretty much anything bend and whammy-bar wise !

Amplificationally , for generic club gigs I use a solid-state 160w Peavey Renown 112 , but for recording and important gigs , tube Marshalls and 4x12" cabinets all the way ! I also carry a Digitech RP80 as a backup , to get me through the night in case my rig breaks down . The RP80 is good for getting a quick sound for recording , and is an inspiring practice tool also .

Effects-wise in order , compressor , graphic EQ , Digitech Whammy pedal , foot-controlled phase shifter , Fasel wah , Rocktron noise-gate , digital delay/reverb ( or tape echo , depending on my mood )

Fun fun 8 ) I could talk guitars all day ( and frequently do )

Pointy guitars rule !!!

7. 23guitars

23guitars Member

I have to slightly disagree with you brainstrm. Without a doubt playability and personal preference is the most important attributes to selecting or customizing a guitar, but you cant forget about what made it possible to do that, and that is the first and original vintage guitars. Without these, you couldnt do anything with a guitar. I myself am 25 and have been collecting guitars for about 6 years. I currently have 23 guitars, ranging from fenders 60's-present, gibson's 80's-present, i have a few newer ibanez guitars, and a couple old kays and silvertones. My favorites are without a doubt my original vintage fenders, and original gibsons. I do believe in mods, and have had mods done from tuners, tremolos, pickups, paint, you name it. But you cant forget what made this possible. I would give anything to be back in the 50's and 60's and just stock pile fenders and gibsons so that they could be on display for everyone to enjoy, because they derserve the respect. Just my opinion.

8. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

anyone think that they can tell me the model of my guitar? Ive been searching.. ntohing.. hmm

[​IMG]

it looks a lot like a Parker P-30.. so im clueless. its Dean btw.

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@pepsimaxx ... does it have a model number on it? (Often found on the neck's bolt plate).

10. brainstrm

brainstrm Member

That looks like a Dean "Avalanche". The picture on the Dean website shows a different 3+3 headstock . This one has their newer style , most likely an updated version of this model .

http://www.deanguitars.com/avalanche_one.htm

11. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

thank you very much brainstrm :)