1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h264 encode part 2 of troubles

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by leiongod, Oct 25, 2005.

1. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

hi there, im kinda stuck with what the whole yyyy thing means on virtualdub.
    [​IMG]

first of all what im doing is trying to convert h264 onto psp.

these are the steps im doing so far,
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/244015

i only go as far as completing up to step 5 but dont go onto step 6.
    you'll have to view that link, now the movie i have is calld final fantasy advent children wich is h264, now which you can download from shinsen subs, just google that.

so as you already know, from reading the guide i made, i went up to step 5, now in FFAC there were 2 audio's ac3 and ogg, so with mkvmerge i just chose the ogg file, the video and subs. then merged it so it would only contain those elements.

i then converted the ogg audio into wav using ashampoo.
    i then addd the wav to VD then as you know i can only choose direct stream copy, not that that is bad, direct stream is good, but when i go to save it as a avi in VD i get this message

[​IMG]

can someone please lemme know what i am sopose to do about this problem, cos it looks like im stuck at this point.

and have no idea waht this whole yyyy business is about.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

VirtualDubMod's mkv support is old and buggy. There is even a warning to that effect the first time you run it.

You could use mencoder to directly convert the mkv's video to PSP compatible raw .264 so low enough res and no HP features.

What exactly were you going to use VDubMod for though. I can't be bothered reading the guide since by the number of tools required it looks like it is going to be overly complicated.

If you want to demux streams, forget about mkvmerge and just use mkvextract to extract them.

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i don't think there's a vfw decoder for h264 yet.
    and thats what your problem is.

what you need to do is frameserve it using directshow via avisynth.

mkvtoolnix-unicode-1.6.0
    supports h264 now ?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I think most people are using ffdshow for h.264/AVC decoding and it works for both VfW and dshow.

mkv/mkvtoolnix has supported AVC natively for quite a while now. Even before that it of course was possible to store it using VfW compat mode.

Frameserving via dshowsource should work fine, but then you have RAW streams and since they are converting for PSP I don't think they actually want to do any encoding with VDub.

5. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

nuh you should read my guide it does work and it aint that complicated, it actually works, its called mkv to psp, just try to read it please, cos it will explain your question, but yuh i was using VirtualDub, so i could add my wav audio (which i converted from ogg to wav using ashampoo) and then save as avi.

read my guide ok cos it will explain why i was doing the steps in VD and so forth.

but yuh ill try mkvextract and see what happens there.

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Convert to avi? I thought that PSP's played modified mp4 files? If the mkv contains native AVC and you wanted an avi, then you could demux the raw 264 stream and then use AVC2AVI. AVC in avi is not a good idea though if you ask me. mp4 or mkv are much better.

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

ahh, i was thinking mkvextract.

i thought ffdshow vfw is still b0rk ?

8. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

hi there, um i don i have the right avisynth or not, is there an actual gui where i can choose frameserve from or what. can you please tell me how to frameserve is avisynth, and also where to get avisynth from please. also what will frameserving do. ??

9. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

nuh i even tried that hey, i plomped the final fantasy advent children onto psp and named it that special name which you have to name them, and nope; it din even show up in my video section of psp. also when i hover my mouse over the file it says file type matroska.

also i forgot to mention, soz if i alredy hvae, but yuh the file contained 2 audio, a ac3 and a ogg, so as i said, i now used mkvextract gui 1.6 and selected the video which has the fields(V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC) and the jpn ogg audio file then hit the button start demuxing.

so what am i sopose to do with this file now, i even tried opening it up in VD and i just get the same crap which is in my 1st message posted up the very top here. so i need some points in the right direction fellas, id much appreicate this.

b4 i go, you guys should mebbe actually try dl final fantasy advent children from http://shinsen.b33r.net/ grab the h264 one ant mebbe try helping me with the file, and if we can all work together on the same file, im sure we'll all pull off this h264 to psp conversion.

10. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

ffdshow VfW works ok. Fact is though that AVC via VfW doesn't really work due to the serious limitations of VfW. VfW expects one frame in, one frame out, which was fine back when it was created, but AVC doesn't always work that way.

Yep, mkvextract supports extracting native AVC streams and has for a while now.

AVISynth is a scripting language, there isn't any GUI, although there are GUI's for editing/creating AVISynth scripts.

I never said that just renaming the mkv would work, even extracting and reusing the AVC stream probably wouldn't since it might not have the correct frame rate, resolution, etc. for the PSP, also the PSP doesn't support HP features.

V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC means that the video is native AVC as I thought. Once extracted you will get a raw AVC stream (.264) which of course VirtualDub can't recognise. As I said if you want an avi, you can use avc2avi to convert. If you just want to re-encode though then I would do it straight from the mkv. No point going to the trouble of creating an avi, just to re-encode it.

If I had a PSP, I would have a go, but I don't. What are the exact specs that you are wanting to convert to? MP AVC video? What res? Framerate? Audio is mp3 or ATRAC?

11. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

hi there, i have as i said dl mkvtoolnix 1.6, and it din come with a new mkv extract gui, just 1.6 mkvmerge so ive only got some older version of mkvextract which is 1.5.5, so i extracted the audio and video from the h264 of FFAC, and it output the files, but the video file i dont think was raw AVC stream (.264) when i clicked on the extracted video it just said file type:video.

also you mentioned something about avc2avi where can i dl that from, also the reason i want to convert it to avi is cos in avi2dvd, even though it supports mkv ogm and avi, the reason i want the mkv in avi is cos 4 sum weird reason every time i go to encode a mkv to svcd in avi2dvd it says the interace is not supoorted, but if its in avi it gets converted to svcd fine and i get the subs audio and video coming out fine, then i convert the svcd which is mpeg, into mp4 using pspvideo express; so thats why i need it in avi format. please get back to me on where i can dl avc2avi from please.

12. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

i heard someone here mention something about mencoder, can someone tell me a lil about that please and where i can dl it from, by the way, i already have video lan 0.82 installed and CCCP installed.

so should i need mencoder or not.

13. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

So mkv-->avi-->SVCD-->mp4??? Not how I would do it. mkv-->mp4 makes more sense.

mencoder is a commandline encoder that comes with mplayer.

You can find my builds for various CPU's here: http://celticdruid.no-ip.com/xvid/

It accepts mkv's as input, can decode AVC, vorbis, etc.. You can output a raw AVC stream which can then be muxed to mp4 using mp4box/yamb. As I understand it though the PSP requires a somewhat non standard mp4.

Guess it would in theory be possible to use the libavformat output to go directly to mp4, but last time I checked libavformat didn't do spec compliant mp4 and I don't think it even supported AVC.

14. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

hi there i dl the combined comunity codec pack from here http://www.kickassanime.org/wiki/index.php?title=CCCP#Latest_CCCP_.28aka._Get_It_Here.21.29

and with it contains ffdshow mplayer classic, and other things, now you mentioned something about mencoder is a commandline encoder that comes with mplayer. does it come with mplayer regarless of where you dl it from, or does it only come with cccp or does it only come with mplayer if i dl from the link you provided. if it comes with mplayer regarless of whether you dl just the player, or in a codec pack, how do i access the command line, and by accessing the command line, what can i do with it.

also i went to http://celticdruid.no-ip.com/xvid/ and i clicked on mplayer/mencoder, then it brought me to http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/mplayer then i clicked and dl the file called mplayer2005.10.09.P4.7z i dl that one cos i have a pentium 4 and i assume the p4 in mplayer2005.10.09.P4.7z means that, please tell me if this is correct; any way i dl it, and i got a 7Z file ?_? waht am i sopose to do with this file, oh btw i also dl from the link you gave me avc2avi.revision267.7z which is also a 7Z file, where do i place this file.

last thing i got was X264VFW.exe which i installed.

ok from the two 7Z files i said, can you please tell me waht to do with them both please.

15. shiroh

shiroh Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  16. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

ok ill try those links and see how it goes

17. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

ok there, im checking out the links now, but i do i need to go to the mplayer homepage, cos when i downloaded the cccp pack, it came with media player classic, can you lemme know if i need to worry about going to the mplayer homepage, cos if i already have it then thers no need right, ?? can you just clear me up on this matter please.

18. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Media Player Classic is a great piece of software, it however has nothing to do with mplayer/mencoder although they do both use some common libs (libmaad, libfaad2, etc.)

Only reason I can think why you would want to go to the mplayer site is to look at the documentation.

I doubt that any codec packs include mplayer or mencoder.

19. leiongod

leiongod Regular member

hi there um im kinda new to this whole, codecs and all, im trying my best to try and understand it, but what exactly do you mean by the "Only reason I can think why you would want to go to the mplayer site is to look at the documentation."

do you mean go to http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html if so what part of that site should i be reading, also i went to your site and i dl avc2avi_rev267_mmx and i extracted it and i got a lil white box with a blue bar up the top, i double click it and then this black cmd box appears and disappears right away, what am i soposed to do with this extracted file callde avi2avc, i also dl mplayer2005.10.09.P4 and extracted it and get several things from it, folders called codecs (with nothing in the folder and a folder called mplayer which contains files and another folder inside called font which contains nothing in it); i also got 2 .exe's one called mplayer which actually has a image on it, but when i double click it, some small black cmd screen pops up and disappears right away, what kind of weird .exe is this ?__? i also get another .exe called mencoder but it has no image, just a white box with a blue bar up top, and when i double click it the same thing happens, a cmd screen appears then diappears straight away, can you please tell me wahts going on here and waht i'm sopose to be doing with these files please, cos im kinda lost.

20. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

They are all command line apps. I meant that you might want to read the documentation, get an idea of the options/commands available.

I included the empty directories to show where you can put codecs, fonts, etc. No point including them because not everyone wants them and you can download them seperatly.

If you aren't used to/don't like commandline apps then you might want to look for a GUI. mplayer though you can pretty much drop a media file onto the EXE and it should just play.